Linebacker stabbed outside Main Street bar

Pettigrew recovers, investigation ongoing

Bradley Parker navigated his way through the crowd, dodging elbows, shoves, and dirty looks while dozens of people waited in line to enter The Northside bar Saturday night on Main Street.

According to Parker, a sophomore communication major, the bar was rowdier, hotter and more packed than normal. Every time he turned around he bumped into a different intoxicated patron and noticed how edgy the crowd was becoming.

At around 1:30 a.m., the sounds and lights of sirens outside of the bar drew Parker's attention away from the blaring music and onto the scene that was developing in front of 3160 Main St.

UB football player Scott Pettigrew laid near the curb with his eyes dilating as he grasped his upper torso. He had been stabbed and was gushing blood from his chest.

"His eyes were wide open, and he wasn't blinking," Parker said. "It looked like he was in shock."

Pettigrew, a junior linebacker who has been injured all season, was taken by ambulance to Erie County Medical Center where his wound was treated. He was released roughly eight hours later and has been recovering at home ever since.

The Buffalo Police arrested Marjon Bailey, Eddie Green and Fredrick Long, all 22 and of Buffalo, in connection with the crime. All three were charged with assault and gang assault. Long was also charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Police wouldn't confirm what type of weapon was used in the stabbing, but student speculation differed as rumors swirled; some thought it was a beer bottle, while others said it was a knife.

According to Buffalo Police Department Spokesman Mike DeGeorge, the investigation is ongoing, and no specific details about the altercation were available at press time. No one who witnessed the actual altercation was available for comment, but many were on the scene to witness the aftermath.

Max Kimbarow, a senior finance and marketing major, was standing outside the bar right after the incident happened.

"I saw two males, about 22 or 23 years old, running away from the police," Kimbarow said. "I saw a huge crowd of people, and the next thing I knew there was a kid with his shirt off – bleeding."

Parker claims that there were several fights throughout the night and that physical altercations are common at The Northside.

"A lot of kids at this school get ‘beer guns' when they drink," Parker said. "Their temper mixes with alcohol, they flare up and they start to fight people for no reason."

Pettigrew's roommate, Jordan Hutt, was also at the bar Saturday night but didn't see the altercation. Hutt, a junior in the School of Management, has been helping Pettigrew recover and isn't worried about the long-term effects that the stabbing will have on his friend.

"He's a real tough kid," Hutt said. "It was tough on him the first day-and-a-half, but he's getting back to his old self. He's been through a lot in his life and this is just one more bump in the road. He'll be fine."

Pettigrew has been lightheaded the past few days but has recovered quickly considering the severity of the injury. The support that he has received from friends and family has kept his spirits up.

According to Hutt, Pettigrew's mother flew into town from Tennessee to be with her son.

"[His mom is] pretty strong," Hutt said. "That's where Scott gets [his strength] from. She's pretty freaked out, but at the same time, they're keeping each other strong through the process. The worst is behind them."

Bulls head coach Jeff Quinn released a statement on the situation; however, the Athletic Department refused further comment and advised all athletes not to speak about the situation.

"Certainly, we appreciate everyone's concern for one of our student-athlete football players, Scott Pettigrew," Quinn said. "He has been blessed and very fortunate…With an ongoing police investigation, no other further comments are going to be made at this point."

The University Heights have been a common ground for crime, but students have ignored past incidents and continue to spend their evenings on Main Street. Saturday night, however, has had some students reevaluating how safe they are at night.

"I go out on Main [Street] three times a week and I've never seen a stabbing," Parker said. "I've seen fights, I've seen altercations, but I've never seen something this violent. I'll be honest: it scares me."

Stay with The Spectrum for more coverage as the investigation unfolds.

Additional reporting by Sports Editor Jacob Laurenti