Gubernatorial candidate gains infamy

Carl Paladino makes homophobic remarks during Brooklyn speech

New York State voters are mad as hell at Carl Paladino.

Paladino, the New York State Republican candidate for governor, addressed a gathering of Orthodox Jewish Rabbis in Williamsburg, Brooklyn on Sunday to discuss education and moral issues facing NYS families.

Paladino, who was greeted with applause and cheers, asserted that he is indeed mad and will continue to be angry in the face of affronts on traditional morals.

"Yes, I get real angry," Paladino said. "When I see injustice and evil then you should get angry, too."

Citing past incidents of religious persecution like the Holocaust, Paladino urged New Yorkers to no longer accept attacks on fundamental religious beliefs.

"We must stop the mocking of religion in this country," Paladino said. "We must stop this indoctrination of our children."

Paladino blamed homosexuals, whom he referred to as "pornographers and perverts," for "seek[ing] to target our children and destroy their lives."

One thing Paladino objected to was the marching of Andrew Cuomo, his Democratic opponent, in New York City's Gay Pride Parade with his two children.

"I did not march in the Gay Pride Parade this year, my opponent did," Paladino said. "That's not the example that we should be showing our children and certainly not in our schools."

Paladino urged that he was not anti-gay in any way, but he does not want "[our children] to be brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and success option. [Because], it isn't."

In addition, Paladino promised to veto all legislation that would "make a mockery" of marriage, including bills to legalize gay marriage or civil unions.

Paladino's remarks came the day before National Coming Out Day, an annual celebration of individuals' decisions to come out and claim their sexual identity.

Buffalo LGBTA community reacts to comments

Gathered outside of Paladino's Ellicott Square Building headquarters, The Pride Center of Western New York held a peaceful demonstration against Paladino's comments on Tuesday around 4 p.m.

Pride Center is a local not for profit organization that strives to make the area a safe, healthy, and satisfying place for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgender people to live.

The Center, its supporters, and members of the LGBTA community found Paladino's remarks degrading, especially before National Coming Out Day.

"We're here because it's important to show Mr. Paladino that the LGBTA communities are strong, healthy, and successful," said Jorien Brock, senior director of the Pride Center. "These are the faces of the people that he is talking about."

Buffalo resident Angela Eisenhardt and her homosexual son, Andrew, also attended the demonstration.

"I hope that people become aware that we need someone in office that is less of a bigot and a misogynist," Angela Eisenhardt said. "I was thinking about drawing up an editorial cartoon of Paladino hitting a bumblebee with a sledgehammer, because that's about how much tact that he has."

Her son, executive director of the Allentown Association, went on to voice his concern with Paladino's comment.

"I don't feel that Paladino should represent the third largest and most liberal and democratic state; it's sort of an embarrassment that he's gotten this far," Andrew Eisenhardt said. "There's certainly problems in this state but I don't think Paladino is the answer. I have no problems with his fiscal conservatism but his morality is really at question."

UB students and faculty sound off on Paladino's speech:

Joseph Nasby, a junior theatre major and LGBTA's president

On Paladino's speech:

"I honestly feel like he is not aware of his constituents…I think he is unaware that some will take what he said to heart and that his comments will cause some people to feel like they don't have a place."

On Paladino's timing:

"I don't think he was malicious, or that his timing was intentional… Not many people are aware of National Coming Out Day, so we can't fault him for not knowing."

On what he would do if Paladino were elected:

"If he was elected governor, I myself will be sending him several letters about what he needs to do [for the LGBTQ community] as governor of New York."

James E. Campbell, Ph.D., professor and chair of political science department

On Paladino's speech:

"Regardless of his opinion on gay rights issues, this is not what New Yorkers want to hear. It's a detour from the real issues and doesn't help his campaign."

"[Paladino does] not have a lot of political calculation. Whatever he thinks, he will say."

On Paladino's timing:

"I think [his statements] had nothing to do with timing. He is a candidate who says what he thinks and who is not especially disciplined with stating the message."

On Paladino's chances of getting elected:

"Because of his undisciplined nature of his candidacy he is making the job of running against Cuomo more difficult than it needs to be... He has spent three to four weeks getting off track with run-ins with reporters and speeches like this; he has lost all this time and his credibility with the media."

"Cuomo is the favorite to win…it is going to be an uphill battle for any Republican candidate…If ever there was a time for a conservative to run and win, this would have been the year, but Paladino is in many respects his own worst enemy."

James Bowman, Ed.M. special populations outreach coordinator

On Paladino's speech:

"There are many New Yorkers that do not agree with the remarks made by Carl Paladino about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people and about same-sex marriage."

"Making erroneous statements about a population of people in an attempt to secure support for a political campaign does not help to move our society towards an inclusive and welcoming society for all people."

"It is divisive language, like the words expressed by Carl Paladino, that can drive the wedge deeper between people in this country. "

"LGBTQ people are important members of our society, who raise strong and loving families, work in our communities to make them great places to live, volunteer to support others when they are in need, and care about the success of our country."

On what Paladino's speech means to UB students:

"I hope that Mr. Paladino's remarks signal a call to action by students here at UB to show their support for their LGBTQ peers."

"Take the time to reach out to your gay and lesbian friends. Ask your campus leaders how you can help make UB a more welcoming environment for transgender students."

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com