When a college ID comes in handy

Saving money has never been easier.

Area businesses are fully embracing this city's college population by offering a wide range of discounts and deals to students. Offering an abundance of cheap eats everyday of the week and shopping deals that are sure to please any wallet, living better for less is now reality.

A college ID is not only beneficial for food and shopping, but also for many other facets of student life.

Gyms

Numerous athletic clubs around the university are helping students live active lifestyles at an affordable cost.

Area Buffalo Athletic Clubs (BAC) offers a discount to college students at more than seven locations. For a $45 startup fee and $30 a month after that, students can reap all the benefits of Buffalo's best.

Gold's Gym has two locations offering students a $29 a month rate, which comes to $299 for the full year. One of the best deals around may be Fitness 19, where people of any age can work out for just $7 a month.

Auto

Various auto shops and driving schools are also on board to give students a financial break when no one else can.

Firestone Complete Auto Care and Nirelli's Auto Service and Collision offer students and faculty 10 percent off for all maintenance and repairs. Buffalo Driving School offers students 10 percent off all programs while City A1 Driving School INC offers all students 10 percent off the ever-popular Insurance Reduction Course as well as other programs.

Technology

Apple generously offers students free shipping on all iPod orders, grants $50 off Mac Books and up to $450 off on other products.

AT&T, one of Apple's partnering companies, gives students 5 percent off basic monthly service charges with a qualified plan. Bring a student ID to an AT&T store, mention code 80338 or go to att.com/wireless/Buffstatestudents for further information.

It is even possible to explore Buffalo at 50 to 90 percent off using groupon.com/buffalo. Capitalize on fantastic deals at local restaurants bars, theaters, spas and more at LIVINGSOCIAL.com and claim coupons for over 150 national restaurants at eatdrinkdeal.com

Taking advantage of great deals will not only make money last longer, but also available to spend on what is really important. The days of drinking Keystone will shortly fade into the past and quickly turn into many plentiful days of drinking Oktoberfest.