Mixed results for soccer teams this weekend

Men's Soccer

Sunday

All the men's soccer team needed was a couple games in the 716 to get on track.

After notching their first win at Canisius, the Bulls (2-2) opened their home portion of the schedule on a high note. Buffalo scored the game's first three goals and held on for a 3-2 victory over Robert Morris (0-4) Sunday afternoon.

Buffalo's fast pace resulted in an early lead as senior forward Juha Kaartolumoa notched the game's first goal from 10 yards out in the 20th minute.

The Bulls increased their lead in the second half. Junior forward Mike Unwin doubled up Buffalo's advantage with a goal off a rebound in the 63rd minute. Sophomore forward Maksym Kowal scored Buffalo's last goal on a breakaway in the 79th minute.

"We wanted to establish the pace," said Buffalo head coach John Astudillo. "We're realizing that when we play a lot faster we're a better team. There are times where I think we get a little bit out of control, but I like the way we react when we have a fast paced game."

The Bulls' offensive efficiency almost went for naught. Colonial David Torrance took advantage of a Buffalo defensive error and scored on a penalty kick 28 seconds after Kowal's goal. Robert Morris cut Buffalo's lead to one 15 seconds later as Neil Shaffer was fouled inside Buffalo's box and capitalized on another RMU penalty shot.

Despite RMU's two goals in 15 seconds, Buffalo regained focus to close out the contest. The Bulls intensified on defense and abated the pressure the Colonials' suddenly effective offense displayed. RMU struggled to get shots on net in the final minutes, preserving Buffalo's second win of the season.

"I thought the team was going to react more nervously [after the penalty kicks], but they collected themselves," Astudillo said. "I got to give credit to the [upperclassmen] for keeping the team calmed down… but we put ourselves in that situation so [the two penalty kicks] are on us."

Buffalo looks to extend its two-game winning streak against St. Bonaventure. First kick is slated for 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at UB Stadium.

Friday

The men's soccer team returned to Western New York after disappointing results last weekend and faced off against cross-town rival Canisius.

After an early first half goal, the Bulls captured their first win of the season with a 1-0 victory. The lone goal was set up when freshman midfielder Ian Storan was fouled in the 20th minute. On the ensuing free-kick, Storan nailed a clean shot to put the Bulls ahead.

"It was just a picture perfect goal," Astudillo said. "He used the wall [of players] very well and the shot came in."

Although that was the only goal scored, the rest of the game was intense. Both teams finished with a season-high 16 shots.

The Bulls felt comfortable with the fast style of play and used it to their advantage. After controlling the pace in the first half, they kept up the tempo for the rest of the game. Canisius (0-3) used the tempo to its advantage and pressured Buffalo freshman goaltender Ryan Aubrey.

In the 40th minute, Canisius forward Casper Rej-Kleczek had an opportunity to score but missed wide. Another Griffs forward followed suit by missing his opportunity. In addition to the numerous shots on goal, Canisius had eight corner kicks.

Aubrey was a standout in his college debut with four saves in the game. The saves, along with the Bulls' defense, gave Buffalo its first shutout of the year.

"I thought we played a very high paced, high intensity game," Astudillo said. "We really kept that pace throughout the entire game."

Every save was a big one because the Bulls missed many opportunities as well. Junior forward Mike Unwin belted five shots, three of which were on goal.

"I thought we created enough chances for us to score," Astudillo said. "We should have finished with all the chances that we had, especially in the second half."

The shutout victory added to Buffalo's dominance over their rivals. The Bulls lead the series 26-8-5.

Women's Soccer

Sunday

Besting the other team in statistical categories is important, but when the game is over, only one stat matters: the score.

The women's soccer team failed to net more goals than Robert Morris (3-3-1) and fell 3-1 to the Colonials on Sunday.

Even though the game didn't end how Buffalo (1-5) hoped, the team didn't disappoint entirely.

"Obviously, we're not happy with the result," said head coach Michael Thomas. "That being said, we were happy with how the team played. We won most of the statistical categories and anytime you do that, you put yourself in a position to win."

The Bulls went down two goals early as the Colonials netted two scores within the first 10 minutes. Despite freshman midfielder Megan Adman tapping in a goal in the 32nd minute, along with seven different players taking a shot on goal, Buffalo failed to mount a comeback.

Thomas complimented Adman's scoring ability and senior forward Lindsey Bailey's overall play.

"Freshman Megan Adman scored her second goal of her career today, and that makes it two goals in three games," Thomas said. "We like to see that her play continues to progress. And senior Lindsey Bailey, although she didn't make it onto the stat sheet, she has been a consistent threat for us all season."

The women's soccer team left the Niagara University Tournament winless in two games and failed to rally after winning its first game against St. Bonaventure early in September.

Buffalo will look to bounce back Friday when they visit its first Mid-American Conference opponent, Bowling Green. Game time is set for 4 p.m.

Friday

In the first match of the Niagara University Fall Classic on Friday night, the Bulls struggled offensively and dropped the opener 2-0 to the Duquesne Dukes (3-2-1).

Although the Bulls outshot the Dukes 11-8, they couldn't find the back of the net. The Dukes didn't have the same problem as they scored twice in a short period of time.

"There were really just some concentration lapses," said Bulls head coach Mike Thomas. "But those opportunities came on the back of some great chances. We missed some setters, and let our guard down and it lead to those goals."

The Dukes opened up the scoring in the 34th minute and then quickly struck again to put another goal on the board two minutes later.

In the second half Buffalo tightened up its defense and only allowed one shot the entire half, but the Bulls still struggled.

A high back line defensive strategy installed by the Duquesne coach was one of the problems the Bulls faced in the game. This resulted in 10 offsides infractions on Buffalo, which killed many scoring opportunities.