Bills May Exceed Expectations

If you've been reading the plethora of football preview magazines that populate the newsstands every summer, you're probably feeling pessimistic about the Bills' chances for a playoff run in 2010.

Pro Football Weekly has predicted Buffalo to finish 4-12 this season, while The Sporting News has the Bills landing at 3-13. Some football analysts, including Phil Steele, have the team at a miserable 2-14.

Luckily, things aren't as bleak as they seem.

The preseason may have just given Bills' fans a reason to "billieve" that the season outlook may not be as bad as anticipated.

Rookie running back C.J. Spiller has lived up to the early hype after scoring three touchdowns this preseason. He appears to be capable of handling duties in an NFL backfield after displaying the explosive speed and elusiveness that made him a collegiate star at Clemson.

Starting QB Trent Edwards showed great poise and command for Chan Gailey's new offense this preseason against Cincinnati. We haven't even seen a quality pocket presence from Edwards since Buffalo started 5-1 in 2008 before suffering a career-altering concussion.

If Edwards can build his confidence level and limit his mental mistakes, the Bills' offense could finally become respectable and stand up to some of the AFC's tougher defenses.

After making significant strides last year, Buffalo's defense has undergone a makeover this preseason. In converting to the 3-4 base defense, Buffalo will be able to utilize their linebackers with heavier blitz packages to put pressure on the opposing quarterback and cause more turnovers.

Luckily, new defensive coordinator George Edwards takes over a secondary that recorded the second most takeaways in the NFL last year.

After recording nine interceptions last year as a rookie, Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd will make quarterbacks think twice before throwing the ball downfield. With Terrence McGee, Leodis McKelvin and Drayton Florence locked-in as the team's starting cornerbacks, the secondary will likely make a strong case to be one of the NFL's best.

The weak spot of Bills' defense in 2009 was the inability to stop the run. But the acquisition of Dwan Edwards will help the defensive line improve on last season. The former Baltimore Raven has experience in the 3-4 defense to help down-lineman Kyle Williams, Marcus Stroud and rookie Torell Troup adapt to the new defensive scheme.

While many of us have questioned the capabilities of the team, few have taken the time to dissect the rest of the AFC East – a division I think is more questionable than most.

The Jets have been pegged as Super Bowl contenders, but what guarantees Mark Sanchez to have a breakout year? He struggled for much of last season, yet was aided by the NFL's best running game and defense. And how long will Darrelle Revis hold out? There's no replacing the league's best cornerback.

Brandon Marshall is expected to give flight to the Miami Dolphins' incumbent passing attack, but he's had a history of poor judgment and character issues that have affected his coaches and the locker room. Will history repeat itself, or can Marshall be Miami's saving grace?

New England's adolescent defense struggled mightily last year and has looked even weaker in the preseason. Even if Tom Brady can be Tom Brady, the Pats' defensive woes raise questions of concern and could prevent the team from being a playoff contender at year's end.

The Bills may not contend for a Super Bowl this year, but a Wild-Card berth is not out of the realm of possibility.