$20.10 Never Tasted Better

Monday marks the fourth semiannual local restaurant week in Buffalo. Local independent restaurants feature $20.10 specials all week, giving customers more bang for their buck and the opportunity to try out new restaurants.

Tara Brown, a psychology major at UB, is looking forward to restaurant week.

"I think that it's a great opportunity for students to get out there and see what the Buffalo food world has to offer," Brown said. "So many great restaurants participate, so not only are you supporting local businesses, but you also get to enjoy some fantastic food at the same time."

Mike Andrzejewski, owner of the Seabar, commented that restaurant week has continued to grow in popularity since its inception in March 2009. Since then, hundreds of restaurants have participated. The event is now held twice a year, in March and September, because of its increasing popularity among Buffalonians.

In the spirit of 2010, for $20.10 customers are treated to their choice of a three-course menu at local restaurants.

Chocolate Bar, located at 114 W. Chippewa St., has participated in the last three local restaurant weeks. Chocolate Bar, which opened in March 2006, features contemporary dishes, delectable desserts, and a wide variety of specialty martinis. Bill Panzica, a bartender at Chocolate Bar and the owner's nephew, anticipates a busy restaurant week.

"Restaurant Week is definitely one of the busiest weeks of the year for us, and with Shea's opening next week, it's probably going to be a perfect storm," Panzica said.

Chocolate Bar will be featuring a choice of three courses all for $20.10. Patrons can choose from a Caesar or pear salad for their appetizer, a filet mignon, salmon fillet, or chicken spiral for the main course, and "dip your own berries," peanut butter mud pie, Belgian chocolate mousse cake or crème brulée for dessert.

The special will be available for dinner from 5-10 p.m., Monday, Oct. 4 through Sunday, Oct. 10. Chocolate Bar is open weekdays from 11 a.m. -midnight and weekends from 11-3 a.m.

For Shango Bistro and Wine bar, located across from UB's South Campus at 3260 Main St., Monday will mark participation in four local restaurant weeks. Shango features Cajun/Creole inspired dishes and an innovative beer and wine list. Previously The Coffee Bean Café, after eleven years of business, owner Jim Guarino, an alumnus of UB, decided to renovate and reopen as Shango in January 2005. Guarino is an avid supporter of local restaurant week.

"It's important to do something like this to give people an opportunity to check out a new place and for it to not be a huge financial commitment," Guarino said. "There are so many great places in Buffalo, it's easy to forget to try some of them out."

Shango's $20.10 menu will be a three-course menu consisting of a choice between their award-winning chicken and andouille sausage gumbo, a soup or salad for the first course, seafood étouffée, blackened flat iron steak or pecan-crusted catfish for the entrée, and beignets or mini bananas foster for dessert.

Guarino also anticipates a busy restaurant week.

"It's amazing because every restaurant week seems to surpass the previous one. I always think there's no way to be busier than the last one and yet we are," Guarino said.

Shango will be offering its $20.10 dinner special Monday through Thursday from 5-10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 5-11 p.m. Reservations are recommended and can be made by calling (716) 837-2326.

Along with The Chocolate Bar and Shango Bistro and Wine Bar, The Buffalo Chop House, 31 Club, Empire Grill, Falletta's Restaurant, La Dolce Vita, La Tee Da, Oliver's Restaurant, Papaya Restaurant, Ristorante Lombardo, Seabar Restaurant, Sole Restaurant, Tabree and Toro Tapas Bar are all participating.

A complete list of participating restaurants can be found at http://westernnewyork.localrestaurantweek.com.

On Monday, Oct. 4, City Grill, located at 268 Main Street, will host the ceremonial kickoff at 11 a.m.

` Keep a lookout in next week's editions of The Spectrum to see new restaurants highlighted each day.

Email: features@spectrum.com