Shock value

Some things in life come as a complete shock, while others are slightly more foreseeable. I didn't know, for example, that I was going to step in goose doo-doo on the way to campus Tuesday, but I definitely could have predicted that Ricky Martin was gay at least 10 years ago.
The last week has been crazy in the sports world. The baseball season kicked off, there were a couple of National Championships played, more football players ran into trouble with the law and Tiger Woods spoke to the media, to name just a few.
Amidst all of the mayhem, some events came as a surprise, while others were expected. Let's take a look as some of the big sports stories of the past week and group them as either Utterly Shocking or Completely Predictable.

Utterly Shocking

Donovan McNabb gets shipped off to the Washington Redskins

This left me in utter shock and it was perplexing, too. I understand that McNabb was on his way out, and I realize that the Eagles have two solid quarterbacks left on their roster, but what I don't get is why they sent him to another team in the NFC East and why they only received a couple of draft picks for their franchise player. Mark my words: McNabb is going to beat the Eagles once – if not twice – next season and Philly's 37th second-round draft pick isn't going to make as much noise as number five will in D.C.

Tiger Woods actually seems remorseful

After his previous "press conference" in late-March where he sounded nothing short of a pompous robot with a third-grader's reading skills as he addressed handpicked reporters and family members, I expected Woods to further diminish his image with more rehearsed and fake apologies. To my surprise, he actually appeared to realize how royally he screwed up. You know what wouldn't shock me? Woods winning the Masters. You know what would? Him sleeping with only one woman for the rest of his life.

Day one of the Major League Baseball season in New York

Granted, they played the Florida Marlins, but without Carlos Beltran and Jose Reyes, I really couldn't have predicted such a commanding victory from the Amazins'. As for the Bronx Bombers, I was shocked when they blew their opener at Fenway Park. After a crafty double steal play that every team used to execute back in the golden days of Little League, I really thought the Yanks were a lock to win. It didn't surprise me, however, when Mets fans bragged about having a 1.000 winning percentage. Let's not forget, it's not about how you start, but how you finish…

Duke topping Butler

I wasn't surprised that the Blue Devils won, but was shocked by their margin of victory – just two points! I also didn't expect Gordan Hayward to shoot 2-of-11 from the field, or for him to get two decent looks at the end of the game that would have sent fans into a frenzy. What I thought would have been a blowout turned out to be one of the greatest championship games I've ever seen, capping the best NCAA Tournament that I can remember. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Completely Predictable

Spurs topping the Lakers and making a late season push

Check out The Spectrum's NBA Preview that ran last semester and read my predictions (And don't miss the part where I said Kevin Durant would win the scoring title, because he will). San Antonio is full of veterans and with Tony Parker back and healthy, no one in the West wants to see the Spurs in round one of the playoffs. NBA fans: Brace yourself for an exciting postseason.

Defensive tackle Shaun Rogers trying to sneak a loaded gun through an airport

I swear, these football players never learn. Hasn't Rogers ever heard of Gilbert Arenas? He can join him on the list of professional gathletes (see what I did there?). Furthermore, linebacker Joey Porter, who was suspected of driving under the influence, won't be facing any DUI charges. A professional football player was drinking and driving and is getting off scotch-free? Weird. Dante Stallworth anyone?

Phil Jackson getting fined 35K for criticizing the referees

Mr. Zen, you just can't do that anymore. There are cameras, tape recorders and reporters crawling everywhere across the nation (cough Tiger Woods cough). Nowhere is safe. The media has eyes and ears everywhere. God forbid players and coaches speak ill of the talented and extremely unbiased NBA referees. Come on, Tom Donaghy was just a fluke. Don't you know that every other official calls each game honestly and never misses any calls? Coaches and players, keep your mouth shut! It'll cost you some pocket change if you say otherwise!

UConn beating Stanford in the Women's NCAA Championship

The Huskies had won 77 consecutive games going into the finals and the word "loss" was simply not in their vocabulary. Sure, Stanford held the lead at halftime, but they were up at the break earlier in the season as well and went on to lose. The Cardinals couldn't hang with the country's best, even after holding them to 12 points in the first 20 minutes. All I can really say about this game is that if I were the top high school basketball recruit, I'd go anywhere but Connecticut. Someone has to stop this madness.

Think I overlooked something? Was I completely wrong somewhere? Let me know!

E-mail: andrew.wiktor@ubspectrum.com