Pop punk redundancy

Grade: C+

In today's music scene, pop punk bands are a dime a dozen. They come as quickly as they go, and without a definable hook, they're doomed to fade into obscurity and become nothing more than a passing fad.
This is the problem that newcomers Save Your Breath now face. The pop punk quintet out of Newport, UK have concocted an eight-track debut EP entitled Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy, an album that showcases the band's potential.
Save Your Breath's sound, while semi-catchy, is nothing that's not already out there. It feels recycled and rehashed and fails to leave any kind of lasting impression. In short, the EP's biggest problem is its lack of originality.
Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy has a very Hit the Lights-esque feel to it. Between lead singer Kristian Richards's vocals, quick drumbeats and the driving and distorted guitar riffs, this EP is modern day pop punk incarnate.
However, if some generic pop punk is what you're looking for, these boys more then fill the bill.
The EP opens up with "xRYx Almost Died at a Foam Party," a 45 second track that is more or less the intro to the album. The song starts off with a slow pace but picks things up the instant the vocals kick in.
Track 2, "Holy S***! Fortune Teller Miracle Fish," draws the listener in with a heavy drumbeat that would be enough justification for the harder pop punk fans to kick up a circle pit. But once the singing starts and the drums ease up, it reverts back to a traditional jumping and bouncing pop punk number.
"You've Got Lizard Blood" is a track that holds a quick and upbeat pace throughout its duration. So much so, in fact, that it'll be over before you even realize it's officially begun.
When you boil it all down, Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy is decent, but it's far from what the band needs to make a career. Save Your Breath has a lot of untapped potential that they'll need to unleash on their full length release if they hope to distinguish themselves in the pop punk community.
E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com