Construction to close roads on North Campus

As renovations continue in preparation for UB 2020, people traveling through North Campus will have to deal with additional road closings as part of the overall facelift.
From April 15 through August 15, construction is scheduled for the building of the new Audubon roundabout. Between these dates, the current Audubon Parkway between Hamilton Road and Frontier Road, as well as Lee Road between the Jarvis B Lot entrance and Audubon Parkway, will be closed to through traffic.
According to Bruce Buerger, the manager of Capital Project Support, the leader of this construction project, the new roundabout should ultimately improve pedestrian crossing safety.
"Right now, there is no slowing down of traffic [in the area where the roundabout will be built] and you have to stop whenever there is a pedestrian," Buerger said. "[The roundabout] will make improvements for traffic and pedestrians."
A walkway will be opened throughout the duration of the construction for pedestrian use. This walkway will go along Lee Road, between Ellicott Complex and the Academic Spine.
Buerger predicts that there may be some impact on the flow of traffic during times such as graduation and when students are moving out of the residence halls. Periodic changes and additional detours may also occur in these zones during the set dates.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com