Bulls sweep Cougars and remain perfect in MAC

Although it was cold in Buffalo on Saturday, the men's tennis team stayed hot. After defeating four-time defending Mid-American Conference champion Western Michigan University for the first time in school history last weekend, the Bulls continued to coast in conference play.
With a win on Saturday, the men remained undefeated in the MAC and shut out Chicago State 5-0. The Bulls (10-5, 3-0 MAC) dismantled their injury-ridden rival Cougars (0-9, 0-1 MAC), recording four singles wins without dropping a single game.
The Cougars were undermanned due to injuries, and the two teams played only six of what should have been nine matches. UB won one doubles contest and five singles matches. The Cougars did not have much of a chance at any point of most of the matches.
In four out of five singles matches, Marcelo Mazzetto, Kirill Kolomyts, Vusa Hove, Kristof Custers defeated their Cougar opponents in Rodger Federer fashion, as they didn't allow the Cougars to win a single game in any of their matches. Mazzetto, Kolomyts, Hove and Custers picked up the wins 6-0, 6-0 in each contest.
Even when the Bulls were challenged, they came out on top. Wojciech Starakiewicz defeated Ivan Mojsejev 6-2, 7-5 in what was the closest contest of the day. In the only doubles match, Mitch Zenaty and Alex Kalinin defeated Ivan Mojsejev and Jerrick Boone by a crushing 8-1 deficit.
UB will finish its weekend in the Prairie State with a MAC match at Northern Illinois on Sunday following up with a visit to Ball State next Saturday.

Doubles
1 Mitch Zenaty/Alex Kalinin (UB) d. Ivan Mojsejev/Jerrick Boone (CSU), 8-1

Singles
1 Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) d. Ivan Mojsejev (CSU), 6-2, 7-5?
2 Marcelo Mazzetto (UB) d. Jerrick Boone (CSU), 6-0, 6-0?
3 Kirill Kolomyts (UB) d. Michael Chew (CSU), 6-0, 6-0?
4 Vusa Hove (UB) d. Morris (CSU), 6-0, 6-0?
5 Kristof Custers (UB) d. Worley (CSU), 6-0, 6-0

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com