Student Alliance receives two-hour ban from campaigning

The Student Alliance will not be allowed to campaign in the Student Union Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m., due to overspending on the allotted campaign funds.
The party admitted to going over the $300 dollar limit by $77.22 and was cited by Josh Boston, the elections and credentials committee chair. The new campaign limit was lowered from last year, which allowed each party to spend $400.
Also new to this year's election is a change in punishment policies, which, according to Boston, allow for the suspension of campaigning in the Student Union. In the past, candidates were sentenced to community service hours after the election had ended. This year, however, the E&C committee, along with the Student-Wide Judiciary felt more drastic punishment was necessary.
Kelsey DiGiovancarlo, campaign manager for the Student Alliance, thinks the punishment is a fair one.
"It's a great idea," DiGiovancarlo said. "In the past community service has just been written off, I'm glad to see SWJ doing something about this."
The Student Alliance has also received two additional referrals by the E&C Committee for a potentially defamatory sign and incomplete expenditure reports.
The sign, stating, "Attention SA Clubs, Jordan Fried cannot freeze your budgets, Vote Student Alliance," is an alleged violation of campaign rules, but according to DiGiovancarlo, states the truth.
The party's accused incomplete expenditure reports stated they used professional videographers and photographers for campaign material and for the party's Web site, which DiGiovancarlo says is untrue and that neither one were professionals.
Stay with The Spectrum for more up to date information on the elections.

E-mail: matt.mosher@ubspectrum.com