Reinventing job searches

With the job market showing few signs of improvement, students now have a new way of finding both part-time and postgraduate employment.

Founded in 2006, Care.com is a Web site that offers its posting services and guaranteed response in three days or less for people seeking others to do a variety of odd jobs.

The Buffalo area currently has over 1,000 profiles posted on the site, and the number grows daily.

'All that [students looking for a job] have to do is make an online profile [and] post their information, work experience and a picture,' said Karen Greene, a public relations representative for Care.com. 'Students can find work in anything from pet care and tutoring to care for seniors and people with special needs.'

Greene explains the many benefits Care.com offers, particularly for college students.

'College students can really work around their own schedule. Employers are very flexible,' Greene said.

In an age where technology continues to advance, more students are looking to the Internet to find both full and part-time work.

'With the economy the way it is, it's hard to find jobs. Going on the Internet is always easier,' said Kristen Carter, a sophomore biotechnology major.

UB students seeking various fields of work can benefit from the Web site's job postings.

Ariel Kaplan, a freshman business major, expressed interest in what Care.com has to offer.

'I think this would be a good tool for college kids who need a job. I would definitely look into it,' Kaplan said.

With flexibility as its strong suit, the Web site offers a variety of work opportunities for students during the summer months, like an internship or full-time employment.

'If I could get summer work out of [Care.com], that would definitely benefit me,' Kaplan said.

In employers' search queries, they are able to determine whether the candidate has reliable transportation, what his or her hourly rate is and the range of hours he or she would like to work.

'[Care.com] is quicker and easier for students without cars, and [lets] employers come to you instead of you coming to them,' Carter said.

For members seeking student caregivers, the site offers the opportunities of contacting the applicants, looking into their references and conducting background checks. A list of favorites is also available for those seeking multiple employees.

As an added benefit, Care.com locates all candidates who can work on a short notice for those who need immediate help. Text messages and e-mail notifications of new postings are also available for job hunters, and when necessary, accounts can become deactivated or reactivated at any time.

'There's very few jobs out there for people my age and without college degrees,' said Cari Monaco, a sophomore history major. 'Finding any work can be a lifesaver.'

Greene emphasized the defining points of Care.com and the unique aspects of the site that make it convenient for students seeking work.

'Our goal is for students to work around their own schedule, get experience and get started on the next goal in their life journey,' Greene said. 'We're the Match.com for jobs.'

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com