Sunday, April 28, 2024

Stop blaming the cheerleaders

Blame the fans who don't come to games

To the editor,

It was brought to my attention that the cheerleaders were in a [column by Andrew Wiktor in Friday's issue of The Spectrum]. This [column] was talking about how to get the fans more involved in the game and be more legit as a sports college.

There comes a point in the article where it says, "The only drawback to

moving the bleachers closer to the floor is that the 200-pound cheerleaders probably won't have enough space to flop their bellies around. As shallow

as it sounds, hotter cheerleaders actually make a difference. They should be enhancing the game, not blocking fans from watching the action."

Now being an active cheerleader for the University at Buffalo, I'm very offended by this comment. No girl on our team is close to near 200 pounds, me

being one of the farthest from it. For your information, I work out everyday and spend countless hours in the gym weightlifting, running and practicing my flips so I can stay in shape and increase my skills everyday, as do my teammates.

I am horribly offended that you would put something in The Spectrum like this. Did you know that many cheerleaders suffer from anorexia because of comments like this? I'm glad you have now contributed to that. Just for your information, most collegiate colleges have weight limits for female cheerleaders and it is extremely hard to get to that weight and maintain it.

Well thanks. Thanks a lot.

Let me ask you a question. Do you even come to the games? Have you ever seen the cheerleaders? As far as I know, I spend everyday with them and am also with them at every practice, where sometimes we practice in spankies and sports bras. Never have I ever seen a 200-pound belly flopping around. I'm glad that that's what Buffalo thinks of their cheerleaders.

If you want to make the game better and more collegiate, stop blaming the cheerleaders. First off, one of our teams attends every game and we support every Buffalo team. Instead, put the blame on the fans, the college students that don't show up for the games, the students that even when asked personally by the Buffalo Girls Basketball team to stay for their game got up and left right after the men's game.

Please do not blame us for your own actions. We cannot make more fans come to the game and I'm sure we are not the reason that people don't come to the games. And also for your information, I do not recall us blocking any fans view because the fans sit the opposite side of us and the band sits behind us.

So please, please next time you feel like making your Buffalo teams look bad in front of the student body, remember that this comment and any future comments like this will not help your case, nor contribute to making the

games better or involve more crowd involvement, but instead inhibit it.

Thank You Buffalo! You've truly made an amazing impression to all college students and most of all your Buffalo cheerleaders.

Sincerely,