Love lost

Losing a friend at an early age is one of the most painful experiences one can go through, but one thing I have certainly learned throughout the past four years of my life is that it is inevitable.
Like little mementos meant to reopen old wounds, I have a stack of prayer cards from the wakes of the many people I have lost throughout recent years. Three distinct cards stick out in my mind as being particularly painful.
These three men were only 24, 21 and 19 years old when they lost their lives. One life was lost due to icy roads, another to driving too fast and the last to a drug addiction.
It is always said about someone when he or she passes away, but each of these three guys was really incredible.
Joey was one of the funniest kids I had ever met and you were guaranteed to have fun anytime you were around him. If Luke had one thing, it was integrity; he was a standup guy that was extremely loyal and trustworthy. Mike was one of the most talented piano players I have ever heard. When he played, it sounded like he should have had an orchestra accompanying him.
Now Moe. At the young age of 24, my friend and colleague at The Spectrum lost his life to pneumonia. As anyone who knew him would say, he was one of a kind. He was always happy, never had a bad thing to say about anyone and just enjoyed life.
'God loves me, so it's only right I share some of that love with you!'
That is a quote from Moe, which is probably the best way to sum up his outlook on life. He accepted anyone with an open mind and heart, and left the impact of his huge personality everywhere he went.
Coming from a small community that mourned the loss of young lives together, I morbidly thought as a freshman that the death of a student at UB would go unnoticed. But I soon learned how wrong I was.
As unfortunate as the deaths of UB students have been, losing kids like Jonah Dreskin, Javon Jackson and Nick Orrange brought the UB community together.
Seeing people unite in a time of sorrow puts a face and heart to what is usually seen as a cold bureaucratic system. The reactions of students, faculty, staff and alumni to the deaths of students shows those who attend UB that they are not just a number; rather, they are a part of our school and therefore our lives.
Moe was no longer attending our school and was at graduate school in Florida when he perished, but we here at The Spectrum have still received many condolences for the loss of our friend. Those who knew him and heard of his death had many kind words, and just showed how members of the UB community do not let the loss of one of their own go by with no attention.
Despite the pain that being reminded of our lost friends brings or how much we just want to stop everything, we want to ask why. Why did we have to lose our friends? We must go on; I am sure that is what Moe would want.
As difficult as it is, and as many questions as could be asked, what is important is honoring their memory and never forgetting what they have done for others.
If there are students that have passed away during my time here that I failed to mention, I am sorry and hope that their loved ones are not too upset.
For the many students at our university that have lost other friends during their time here, just remember that you are not alone. It will get better.

E-mail: chris.dimatteo@ubspectrum.com