NFL Playoffs: Divisional Round Outlook

ARIZONA CARDINALS @ NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Saturday, 4:30 p.m. on FOX

A week after one of the most thrilling wildcard games in NFL history, Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals head to The Big Easy to take on the NFC's top-seeded New Orleans Saints. In the first ever playoff meeting between the two franchises, both teams come in with explosive offenses and inconsistent defenses.

New Orleans finished the season at 13-3 and earned a first-round playoff bye. Led by quarterback Drew Brees, the Saints offense averaged 403.8 total yards per game and averaged 272.2 passing yards per game. In addition to 1,000-yard receiver Marques Colston, the Saints can spread the ball around to an arsenal of weapons, including Devery Henderson, Lance Moore, Jeremy Shockey and Reggie Bush.

Arizona possesses an equally impressive offensive attack led by the veteran Warner. Last year's NFC champs possess two 1,000 yard receivers in Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, as well as youngsters Steve Breaston and Early Doucet. Rookie Chris Wells emerged at the end of the season as the team's top rusher and adds the play-action dimension that gives the Cardinals 'big play' capability.

Prediction

Matthew Parrino, Sports Editor

'I think the Saints will look like the team that started 13-0, but it will not be enough. The Cardinals look determined and have the experience in January to take down the favored Saints squad. The Cardinals should have no difficulty moving the ball and I think their defense will be motivated to step up after last week's showing against Green Bay.'

Cardinals 38, Saints 34

BALTIMORE RAVENS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Saturday, 8:30 p.m. on CBS

The Ravens travel to Lucas Oil Field to get another crack at Peyton Manning and the Colts after the two teams met in week 11 this season. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco was intercepted on the Colts' 13-yard line with 2:49 remaining as Indianapolis downed the Ravens 17-15 to improve to 10-0.

After starting the season 14-0, Indianapolis dropped the final two games of the season to finish 14-2. The AFC's top seed had a bye last week and will have fresh legs entering Saturday night. When the Colts won the Super Bowl in 2006, it was the only season during the Peyton Manning era in which they did not have a bye in the first round of the playoffs. The Colts are 0-3 when they have had a first-round bye during that era and have lost in the divisional round each of those years.

Prediction

Matthew Parrino, Sports Editor

'While I think the game will be close, I feel that Peyton Manning is too big a difference maker for the Ravens to overcome. His ability to get rid of the ball quickly and his accuracy should prove to be enough to keep the Ravens defense in check. With offensive weapons Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne and Joseph Addai, I like the Colts to put up enough points to win the game.'

Colts 24, Ravens 21

DALLAS COWBOYS @ MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Sunday, 1 p.m. on FOX

Dallas enters Sunday as one of the hottest teams in the NFL, having won four straight, including a 34-14 victory against Philadelphia last week. Wade Phillips and the Cowboys have been haunted by December and playoff woes in recent years but have turned over a new leaf this season. Last week's wildcard win snapped the teams streak of 15 years without a playoff win, the longest streak in the league.

Quarterback Tony Romo is playing the best football of his career this season. He finished with 4,483 yards through the air and tallied 26 touchdowns. Wideout Miles Austin emerged as Romo's top target and was elected to his first Pro Bowl after accumulating 1,320 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns. The Cowboys defense has not allowed a 100-yard rusher all season and has allowed just 15.6 points per game.

40-year-old Brett Favre led the Vikings to a 13-3 record and an NFC North title. While the Vikings dropped three of their final five games, Minnesota earned a bye last week and will have the home field advantage.

Favre has had one of the best seasons of his historic career after compiling 4,202 passing yards and 33 touchdowns. Pro Bowl wide receiver Sidney Rice has become a dominant receiver on the outside for the Vikings and rookie Percy Harvin has caused headaches for opposing defenses in the passing, rushing and return game. 1,000-yard rusher Adrian Peterson leads a potent rushing attack behind one of the league's best offensive lines.

Prediction:

Joe Paterno, Sports Editor

'This game could go in either direction. Minnesota was my pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl halfway through the season, but showed a lot of flaws toward the end of the year. Dallas, on the other hand, has been playing better football than anyone in the league for the past month.

'As much talk as there is around the offenses, I think this game will be won in the defensive secondary. Both teams can stop the run and put pressure on the quarterback, so it'll be up to the defensive backs to stop Favre and Rice or Romo and Austin. The Vikings' pass defense has been shredded, while Dallas' has stepped up as of late.'

Cowboys 28, Vikings 21

NEW YORK JETS @ SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Sunday, 4:40 p.m. on CBS

San Diego finished 13-3 this season after winning 11 straight games, while the Jets are fresh off an upset victory at Cincinnati in last week's wildcard matchup. The Chargers defeated New York in Week 3 last year behind a 350 yard, three-touchdown performance by Pro Bowl quarterback Philip Rivers. But first year head coach Rex Ryan has the Jets playing with a purpose this season after naysayers believed the Jets didn't belong in the playoffs.

Rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez has had an up and down season, but is currently playing his best football. In last week's 24-14 wildcard win, Sanchez completed 12 of 15 passes for 182 yards and a touchdown. Tight end Dustin Keller has become Sanchez's favorite target, while running backs Thomas Jones and rookie Shonn Greene led the league's best rushing attack. Led by shutdown cornerback Darrell Revis and linebacker Bart Scott, the Jets have the league's best defense, giving up just 14.8 points per game and only 153.7 passing yards.

Not many defenses have been able to stop the Chargers' attack this year. Led by Rivers, San Diego finished fourth in the league with 28.4 points per game and fifth with 271.1 passing yards per game. With two 1,000-yard receivers in Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates, Rivers finished with 4,254 passing yards and 28 touchdowns this season.

Prediction:

Joe Paterno, Sports Editor

'This is not going to be as lopsided a game as many people have predicted. As much as I hate to say it, I like what the Jets have been doing in the past few weeks. Rex Ryan has the Jets playing mistake-free football and the defense has been something special to watch.

'A key matchup will be Revis lined up against Jackson. Revis will have to contain the 6-foot 5-inch receiver that Rivers will look for as often as possible. The real key will be the Jets' running game. If Jones and Greene can effectively run the ball and manage the clock, New York has a chance. The Jets' defense will keep the team in the game, but I don't think their offense will be able to do enough to get the win.'

Chargers 24, Jets 14