Bye bye O'Brien?

Tonight Show
The Tonight Show
The Jay Leno Show

This meant a 12:05 a.m start for O'Brien, who hosted Late Night for 16 years before taking over The Tonight Show on June 1. This was unprecedented for the show, as it has been at the same time slot for nearly 44 years, which was one of the main reasons for O'Brien's resignation.

O'Brien was informed about the network's decision to adjust the show's time slot on Thursday, Jan. 7. He then issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon saying that if he has to go on after Leno, he will step down from the position as the host of The Tonight Show.

'My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction,' his statement said.

Although O'Brien admitted that people might see time slots as irrelevant because of 'DVRs and the Internet,' he believed that is not the case with the show.

'For 60 years, The Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news … The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't The Tonight Show,' O'Brien said in his statement.

Another reason for O'Brien's departure is that he could not accept bumping back Late Night, the show he inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon. The effects of the half hour push go even further than a 1:05 a.m. start for new Late Night, as it also translates into Last Call with Carson Daly – a program that has been going out over airwaves for eight years – being terminated.

O'Brien's contract promised him the chief late night position for five years, and because NBC broke its agreement with the host, the network will have to compensate him with an eight-figure sum.

The statement said that fans should not be sad for O'Brien because he loved what he has been doing for the past 17 years and has been very fortunate. He continued on to say that he signed a contract six years ago that promised him his dream job of being the host of The Tonight Show, and passed up many offers sent his way since then.

O'Brien's statement made it clear that as of now, he has no plans for the future, but hopes to settle the conflict with his network.

'To set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.'

The talk show host ended the statement the best way he could.

'Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.'