Tuesday, May 07, 2024

N.Y. deli meets Buffalo

Jonny C's N.Y. Deli has experienced immediate success after its opening last Monday, replacing the former residence of Campus Café in the Commons.

The friendly staff welcomes students into the new deli, a less cluttered environment with fewer tables, new drink coolers and a large menu listing the deli's various options.

The deli offers a variety of sandwiches, wraps, soups and subs, ordering quality food at reasonable prices for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Owner Joshua Cohen believes that the quality of the products will separate Jonny C's from the rest.

'We're not using processed, pre-sliced items,' Cohen said. 'All our meats are Boar's Head and are very expensive [for us to purchase.]'

Cohen said that using high-quality meats is important to his business. Even if it costs him more to purchase the ingredients, he keeps the prices relatively low for the struggling college student.

The prices of their specialty sandwiches range from $5.49 to $6.99, with create-your-own sandwiches from $5.29 to $6.99. Breakfast sandwiches and egg platters won't set a student back more than $4.99, and there are a variety of salads, with the most expensive costing $5.50.

Jonny C's menu also lists nine combo meals, such as a medium soda and onion rings for $2.49, helping to fulfill a student's food needs without requiring them to empty their wallet.

Cohen welcomes the business from students and accepts Campus Cash, all major credit cards and cash.

There are a variety of choices for even the most finicky eater, with meats such as steak, chicken, roast beef and honey maple turkey – just to name a few.

For meat lovers, The American specialty sandwich includes turkey, ham and roast beef, with American cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion and mayonnaise, all piled high on a freshly toasted Italian loaf.

Vegetarians will also enjoy the new deli with the roasted veggie specialty sandwich on a toasted Italian loaf, including roasted vegetables, melted provolone, lettuce, tomato, and pesto mayonnaise to top it off.

Cohen admitted the opening week was chaotic, filled with grueling days spent behind a counter and hours spent serving the long lines that stretched beyond the deli's doorway.

'We were trying to do a soft open and we weren't telling anyone,' said Cohen. 'But there was a short article in The Spectrum, so it was crazy and we've had to readjust … [requiring us] to work out all the kinks on the fly.'

With the unexpected commotion, Cohen and his staff tried their best to serve the overwhelming customers with smiles on their faces and a steady work pace from morning until night.

'We had to bring in more staff; I was hiring on the spot and coming in at 3:30 [p.m.], working until midnight,' Cohen said. 'But you make do with what you can.'

Although it was often hectic, Cohen attributed a great deal of the deli's success to his new staff, and said he felt a sense of accomplishment during the deli's beginning.

Despite the staff's best attempts to work efficiently and briskly, some students were asked to wait longer than usual for their meals to be prepared. Most did not mind and remained patient, Cohen said.

'You do the best you can, and hope the customers will understand that opening a restaurant requires a lot of guesswork,' Cohen said.

Running a restaurant is not a new concept to Cohen. He has a variety of experience in the business, as his father, Jonny C., opened his first deli on Transit Road 10 years ago with his family.

The new addition to the Commons is the family's attempt to expand its business and provide the students of UB with freshly prepared food.

Students can stop in throughout the week and enjoy the fresh ingredients with the choice to dine in and enjoy their meals in the deli atmosphere, or take their meals on the go. If they're in a rush, they can also call their order ahead, dialing 636-DELI.

Open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Saturday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Jonny C's is likely to become a favorite of students for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For more information, students can visit www.jonnycs.com.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com