Wednesday, May 08, 2024

No trouble unpacking your troubles

Across New York State, 83 college students annually commit suicide because their everyday challenges are too much to handle. The University at Buffalo is fortunate to have a counseling staff that aims to reduce these harmful thoughts and promote healthier living.

???"Personally, I've always wanted to help people through difficult experiences," said Amana Carvalho, a staff psychologist with Health Counseling and the Suicide Prevention Program Coordinator. "I see a lot of people struggling on campus and [The Wellness Team] wants them to know that we are a resource and we can support them through those experiences, whether it's depression, anxiety, eating disorders, cutting or suicide."

For many students, suicide seems like a distant issue, but the numbers speak for themselves. From 2006 to 2008, the University Police Department responded to 51 campus calls concerning potential suicides.

In the spring of 2007, over 2,000 UB students participated in a National College Health Assessment that shed light on the prevalent issue. Of the population surveyed, 64 percent claimed that they have felt overwhelmed at college and 18 percent reported feeling so depressed at one point that they were unable to function.

???The same survey concluded that 76 of the students who were questioned had seriously contemplated suicide, and of those, 12 had made attempts. Between 2004 and 2007, four UB students died from suicide.

???"There aren't a lot of suicides on campus, but we don't want even one student to die by suicide," Carvalho said.

???Carvalho is a licensed clinical psychologist who has been working on UB's annual Unpack Your Troubles campaign. The initiative has four programs that have been created to improve healthy habits across campus.

???"Unpack Your Troubles" is the slogan that we came up with," Carvalho said. "It symbolizes lessening your load and dealing with everything that's in your backpack; things that maybe make it extra heavy to go through your everyday life."

???The UB Division of Student Affairs was awarded a three-year grant that enables the programs, headed by the Student Wellness team, to run smoothly. The first program offered is the nationally recognized QPR: Suicide Prevention Training program. It teaches identification of people in distress and explains how to get help for those in need.

The program is available upon request and offered at least twice a year. Interested students can register online at www.student-affairs.buffalo.edu/shs/training for the next session on April 23, that takes place from 10 a.m. to noon in 210 Student Union.

???Wellness Grants, the second program, of $300 for Student Organizations are being offered to student groups that have ideas for promoting healthier living.

???The third program, Don't Cancel that Class, is held for teachers who aren't going to be able to make their next class. Instead of canceling the course for the day, the Wellness Team provides workshops that educate students on topics including consuming alcohol, sexual health, suicide, stress and sleep hygiene.

???The fourth program, Missing from the Pack , is intended to raise awareness about suicide.

???"We're trying to create a visual display of 83 backpacks to represent the 83 estimated annual suicides by New York State college students," Carvalho said. "It will be a very powerful visual illustration of suicide."

According to Counseling Services, though suicide doesn't directly affect everyone, each suicide affects some one. The Wellness Team encourages those who know of someone who has committed suicide to share that person's story by creating a backpack in memorial of them.

The backpacks can incorporate anything that holds meaning for the friend, family member or peer. Some have included sad stories, while others have integrated happy memoirs, using significant books, clothes and CDs that serve as a visual tribute. The deadline for backpack submission is Friday in Wellness Education Services, 114 Student Union.