Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Beaten by bleach

???I'm a pretty quiet and reserved person. I tend not to speak my mind to people I'm not familiar or comfortable with, and I always shy away from confrontation. But when I pulled out my bleached clothes from the washing machines here at the Governors complex last weekend, I decided to throw quiet and reserved out the window and get mad.

???My sob story begins at the start of last semester. I ended up living in Governors, more commonly known as Governerds, as a last resort. My best friend was transferring from Ithaca College, and we wanted to live together to avoid crazy and unruly random roommates, of which we both experienced the year before.

???University Residence Halls & Apartments couldn't find a room for us in the Ellicott complex, so I got stuck on a floor that at any time during the day smells like a combination of curry, French toast and bad body odor. My room is the size of a closet, literally. If I were to sit on my bed and reach out to my roommate while she sits near the other side of the room, we could touch hands.

???But, I accepted my living situation. If I couldn't get a reasonably sized room and if I would constantly have to keep my Febreez within arm's reach, I assumed I would at least be able to do my laundry.

???Oh, how I was wrong.

???Laundry is a relatively simple task, or so I thought. You separate your darks from your lights, delicates from your jeans, add detergent, and wait.

???But of course, my lack of luck with basically everything in general came back to haunt me.

???At various times throughout the year, a few articles of my clothing would emerge from the washing machine with small spots of bleach splattered across them. I blew this off to be possibly an error of mine.

???However, after three pairs of sweatpants, five T-shirts and a pair of really expensive jeans were ruined, forever, I started to stay in the laundry room with my clothes in case I had an enemy who wanted to gain revenge by bleach. My parents even made me promise to stop washing my clothes in my dorm and wait until I came home.

But realize here that I am a relatively stubborn person. I don't believe in ending up in debt to pay for my college education and dorm room myself, and not use all the utilities and amenities provided to me.

???So, I decided last weekend to attempt to wash my clothes here one more time - one more fatal time.

???Four loads of laundry - bleached. Jeans, shirts, sweatshirts - you name it - gone. My beloved clothes had met their fate with the Governors' washing machines.

???I ask you, how could this possibly be my fault? I took every unnecessary precaution, yet was foolish enough to think I could safely do my laundry in the place I call home during the school year.

???When I reported this clothing fiasco with tears in my eyes and a larger closet to show for it, I was told that nothing could be done, and basically, I threw my money in the garbage.

???To save you from the same horrible destiny, be careful how much faith you put in the system here at URH&A. When you approach them with a problem, it is likely no solution will be found and you will be out the money due to their lack of maintenance with utilities.

???So thank you URH&A for doing nothing to help one of your residents, as usual.