Peaking before the MAC Tournament

Coming off their second Mid-American Conference victory of the season against Akron, the women's basketball team is peaking at the right time. They hope their recent success continues on the road.

???On Wednesday, the Bulls (6-21, 2-12 MAC) travel to Kent State to face the Golden Flashes (17-9, 6-8 MAC). It's the Bulls' second-to-last contest before the MAC Tournament starts Wednesday.

???The Bulls have played more spirited basketball recently. Prior to the Bulls' victory over Akron, the Bulls had lost four of six games by 10 points or less. This includes an 89-83 overtime loss against nationally ranked Bowling Green.

???To continue their recent improvement of play, Buffalo will ride sophomore Kourtney Brown against the Golden Flashes. She leads the team with 16.6 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Brown also has 43 blocks on the year.

???The Bulls hope to improve on their free throw shooting. They are collectively shooting only 62 percent from the charity stripe. Against No. 25 Bowling Green, Buffalo converted only 9 of 19 free throws, costing them the upset against the Falcons.

???Kent State has lost two in a row and is looking to duplicate their performance against the Bulls in January. The team was victorious against Buffalo a score of 79-61 at Alumni Arena.

???In their first game, the Bulls received limited production from Brown. She only played 17 minutes and had three points in the game. Junior guard Rachelle Matthys led the Bulls with 22 points off the bench.

???Buffalo has not had much success against the Golden Flashes. Kent State holds a 20-2 record against the Bulls. The Flashes won their first 19 meetings before the Bulls swept them last season, including a 78-71 victory over Kent State at the M.A.C. Center last year.

???Head coach Bob Lindsay leads the Flashes. The winningest coach in MAC basketball history has racked up 353 career wins and 224 conference victories.

???Buffalo will need a solid defensive effort in order to overcome Kent State's star, center Anna Kowalska. Kowalska has been a dominant force in the middle of the floor. She leads the Golden Flashes in scoring with 16.7 points a game.

???Kowalska isn't Kent State's only threat. The Flashes possess a solid 3-point shooting team that has shot 40.3 percent beyond the arc this season. In comparison, the Bulls have shot only 30.1 percent from 3-point range.

???Buffalo does possess a couple advantages over Kent State. Led by Brown and sophomore forward Jessica Fortman, the Bulls average 39.3 rebounds per game. Kent State comes into the game averaging. 36.2 boards a game The Bulls also lead the MAC in blocks with 121.

???Getting to an early start will be key for the Bulls. In each of the Bulls six wins, they have led at halftime.

???Tip off is at 7 p.m. at the M.A.C. Center.