Momentum continues in North Carolina

???Road trips can either reveal a team's strength or vulnerability. The softball team showed its strong character in Florida during one tournament and looked to continue its success during the Lady Pirate Classic in Newport News, Va.

???With strong efforts from junior pitcher Sharon Barr and freshman pitcher Terese Diaz throughout the five-game stint, the Bulls (16-7) continued their hot streak over the weekend, going 4-1 in Virginia.

???After their first game was canceled due to bad weather, the Bulls came out strong against Maryland-Eastern Shore (10-7) on Friday and knocked off the Lady Hawks 10-0.

???The game was scoreless before the Bulls exploded in the third with a 10-run inning. With runners on first and second, senior first baseman Dana Carter ripped a double to left center to score the first run of the game.

???Sophomore center fielder Kristen Gallipani then came to the plate with the bases loaded and blasted a two-run double to score two runners and give the Bulls a 4-0 lead. The Bulls would manufacture six more runs in the inning to finish out the scoring in the game.

???The one-two punch of Barr and Diaz shut the door on the Lady Hawks' offense. Diaz also went 1-for-2 in the game with a walk and a run scored.

???On Saturday, the Bulls played three games. They held two teams scoreless and lost in a 1-0 pitcher's duel against the Howard Bison (10-19).

???In the first game, the Bulls shut out the Lady Hawks once again and won 3-0.

???The Bulls took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when freshman catcher Kristin Waldron hit into a fielder's choice, scoring sophomore right fielder Candice Sheehan.

???Leading 2-0 in the fifth inning, Waldron drove a triple to left center to score Sheehan and give the Bulls the 3-0 win.

???Barr had another impressive outing. She gave up five hits over seven innings while striking out seven batters and walking only one Lady Hawk.

???Pitching continued to be dominant for the Bulls in the second game against Howard. Diaz pitched seven innings, did not allow any earned runs and struck out seven batters.

???The Bison scored the lone run of the game on a Buffalo error in the first inning. Unfortunately, the Bulls were unable to muster any offense. They manufactured only one hit in the game and lost their only game of the weekend.

???In a return to their winning ways, the Bulls blasted the South Carolina State Bulldogs (3-13) by the final score of 8-0. Waldron led the offensive effort for the Bulls. She went 3-for-4 with a triple and three runs batted in. Barr continued to carry the Bulls with another seven-inning shutout. She allowed only one hit and struck out five batters.

??? Buffalo wrapped up the classic against Winston-Salem State (7-10), defeating the Lady Rams by a score of 4-2.

???Barr added to Buffalo's 3-2 lead when she blasted a home run over the left-field wall to close the scoring in the game.

???Diaz and Barr once again combined for the win, holding the Lady Rams to seven hits while striking out three batters.

???The Bulls start conference play on Saturday against the Kent State Golden Flashes at 2 p.m.