Extra inning prevents home opener sweep

???After playing 23 games away from New York State, the softball team began its home schedule at the friendly confines of Nan Harvey Field on Tuesday. With two games against in-state rival Syracuse, the Bulls had a chance to prove their worth against a Big East member.

???A flawed extra inning in the second game prevented the Bulls from sweeping their home-opening doubleheader.

???The Bulls (17-8, 0-0 Mid-American Conference) won the first game before losing the second contest to Syracuse (12-10). Behind an impressive performance from freshman pitcher Terese Diaz, Buffalo captured the first game with a 5-3 victory. In the nightcap, Syracuse scored four runs in extra innings to prevent the sweep with a 6-2 victory.

???Syracuse got the scoring started in the first game. The Orange scored a run in each of the first three innings, including a home run from designated hitter Kelly Saco in the second inning, to take an early 3-0 lead.

???Buffalo responded with four runs on their own in the bottom of the third inning. The Bulls loaded the bases and with two outs, freshman catcher Kristin Waldron was hit by a pitch to bring in Buffalo's first run. Senior first baseman Dana Carter followed with a single that scored two Bulls and tied the contest.

???Junior pitcher Sharon Barr quickly gave Buffalo the advantage on the scoreboard. She singled to score Waldron and give the Bulls a 4-3 lead.

???Diaz came in and replaced Barr on the mound. The freshman held the Orange to two hits and no runs. She also struck out five batters to earn her ninth win of the season.

???Syracuse got off to a similar start in the second game. They opened the scoring in the second inning on an RBI groundout by first baseman Nicole Miller. Solid pitching from both teams kept the score at 1-0 for the first five innings.

???Buffalo got on the board in the bottom of the sixth inning. Senior second baseman Erin Zilka was hit by a pitch and immediately scored when Waldron hit a triple down the left field line. Three straight walks by Syracuse pitcher Jenna Caira brought another Bull across home plate and gave the Bulls a late 2-1 lead.

???Syracuse answered to extend the game in the bottom of the seventh with the game on the line. Orange center fielder Lindsay Wasek reached base on a walk and scored the tying run on a single by shortstop Jamie Kelling. The game went into extra innings when Buffalo was unable to score in the bottom of the seventh inning.

???The Orange wasted no time to seize control of the contest. Right fielder Jorden Rosen batted in the first run for Syracuse with a single down the right field line. Wasek followed with a two RBI double to centerfield to give Syracuse a three-run lead. She capped the scoring when she reached home by an error at first base.

???Buffalo was unable to answer the Orange's pressure. Syracuse pitcher Brittany Gardner allowed only one walk in the bottom of the eighth inning and shut the Bulls down to end the game.

???The Bulls go back on the road to start MAC play. They travel to Kent, Ohio for a two-game set with the Kent State Golden Flashes. Buffalo hits the field Saturday at 2 p.m.