Candidates go calling

With Student Association (SA) elections just around the corner, the various student councils are getting to know the candidates, deciding on who will be endorsed by the six entities.

The International Council, which is comprised of students groups such as the Japanese SA, the Latin American SA, and the Italian SA, met with the candidates on Tuesday in a Town Hall setting to examine their platforms and ask questions.

The Special Interest Service and Hobby Councils also met the candidates on Tuesday to decide which potential representatives they would endorse.

Candidates from the Student Party stressed how corporate sponsors for events, such as International Fiesta, could ensure that there will be no budgetary loss at the events.

The candidates also discussed taking pay cuts to provide student clubs and groups with more money. Working with clubs to get offices for more groups was another key point of the Student Party platform.

Jordan Fried, the party's candidate for treasurer, explained that providing clubs and groups with pamphlets of similar companies could help the organizations fundraise.

One of the Student Party's SUNY delegates, Amanda Jones, emphasized the need for 24-hour student transportation not only between the two campuses, but also to the University Heights and different apartments, so students leaving campus late at night feel safe.

Nicholas Baxter, another one of the Student Party's SUNY delegates, suggested new designated smoking areas on parts of the campus that would not affect other people's health. This would allow smokers to get around the smoking ban without harming others.

The Students' Voice party spoke about making it easier for clubs to receive reimbursements. The party also plans on making a new position for SA press secretary, in an attempt to make information easier to obtain. The party also suggested a new position for a club liaison, a person who would answer questions from the clubs and organizations.

Another significant part of the Students' Voice platform was utilizing all of the offices being used for storage. The party would make one of the rooms a "club resource room," where SA would sell items that can be bought in bulk, such as plates, cups, and eating utensil, to the clubs for a cheaper price.

Shervin Stoney, the party's presidential hopeful, believes that displaying club achievements would be valuable to the organizations at the university. Stoney plans on advertising a club of the week in one of the student publications on campus, as well as a list of weekly club events.

The party made a point of showing their concern for students' money.

"Use of all SA funds should be beneficial for all students," said Jessica Dorofy, the Students' Voice Party candidate for treasurer.

The SUNY delegate candidates for the party want more student involvement and plan on accomplishing that by attending club meetings and holding student forums to hear what students think.

Cheryl Mohabir, the Unified Party presidential candidate, spoke about working with the local community and other Buffalo colleges to provide more community service and offer students more events.

One of the Unified Party's SUNY delegates, David Zimmer, talked about how the party sees UB Athletics as a very important connection between the university and the local community.

The Unified Party also spoke about the necessity for SA to work with the Finance Committee to adjust clubs' budgets so they can obtain what they need.

Another one of the party's SUNY delegates, Evan Hamberger, stressed that the party feels if tuition increases, then the value of education should increase as well.

Tuesday evening, the International Council endorsed Cheryl Mohabir and Andrilisa Read of the Unified Party for president and vice president, respectively, and Jordan Fried of the Students' Party for treasurer. Potential SUNY delegates Nicholas Baxter, Amanda Jonas and Alex Wallach of the Students' Party were endorsed by the International Council, along with Jennifer Lewis of the Unified Party.

The Special Interest Service and Hobby Councils endorsed Cheryl Mohabir and Andrilisa Read of the Unified Party for president and vice president, respectively, and Greg Robbins of the Unified Party for Treasurer. Nicholas Baxter, Amanda Jonas, Alex Wallach and Emily Bauer, all of the Students' Party, were endorsed for the SUNY delegate spots.

The parties will continue to search for endorsements on Wednesday when they speak to the Engineering, Sports, People of Color, and the Academic councils.