Adjunct claims injustices

???Working at multiple colleges with a workload involving looking after nearly 140 students and playing with a band as many nights a week as possible just to get by are just a few of the hardships Peter Howard has faced as an adjunct professor.

???A teacher for over 25 years, Howard has plenty of experience molding the minds of young students, but just like many other adjunct professors in the Department of English, he gets very little pay and very few courses.

???Howard was paid $2,500 per course three years ago and is currently paid $2,600 per course. Howard believes this shows how there is little opportunity for salary increase at UB.

???These wages are unjust due to the fact that the university brings in so much money per course, according to Howard.

???The UB Web site states that students looking to attend summer courses will pay $207 for each credit hour. Using these rates one can figure out that (without taxes) a student pays $621 for a three credit hour course. With 30 students in the course, the university would bring in $18,630.

???On top of student tuition, there is state funding that very well can be used to pay adjunct professors.

???If the professors teach four or more courses the professors are considered full time and are eligible to receive health benefits. However, Professor Howard and several other adjunct professors have not had the opportunity to teach four courses, so benefits are not an option.

???"It is a no brainer, it is an injustice that has been going on for years," Howard said.

???The department does not tolerate adjuncts speaking out about the unjustness of the situation, according to Howard.

???"The squeaky wheel gets the door," Howard said.

???Cristanne Miller, chair of the English Department, was out of town and unable to be reached for comment. Other members of the department declined to comment.