"Standouts, depth highlight recruiting class"

???The correlation between success and recruiting is straightforward. If a team can win, more players will want to help continue that success.

???After winning the Mid-American Conference Championship and earning a trip to the International Bowl last season, the football program welcomed what could arguably be their most touted recruiting class.

???On Wednesday at Alumni Arena, head coach Turner Gill announced his fourth recruiting class since taking the helm of Buffalo's football team.

???Three players from Western New York highlighted the class of 23 standouts. The program also signed nine players from the talent-rich states of Texas and Florida. The Bulls acquired a total of six players from New York, three from Pennsylvania and two from both South Carolina and Ohio.

???Unlike previous years, most athletes verbally committed to Buffalo before signing day. For Gill, it was a great relief to have players committed to Buffalo during the regular season. He was proud to say that he lost none of his targeted recruits on National Signing Day.

???"This is really the first time in the four years I've been here that everyone who said they were going to sign actually signed with us," he said. "I think it's a great job by our coaching staff to put together a great class."

???Gill emphasized the depth of this year's class. He didn't attack one specific position like previous years, but he aimed for athletes that possess a handful of characteristics.

???"This whole class is very strong from top to bottom. From No. 1 to No. 23, they can come in and help this program right now and also in the future," Gill said. "We were looking for people that were very athletic, with size, with physicality, and with explosive movement. You'll see at least three out of the four areas in every one of the guys in our class."

???Even with the class's overall quality, a few players stood out from the rest.

???Darius Willis, a linebacker from Houston, Texas, will have a chance to start at middle linebacker next season. Willis initially signed his National Letter of Intent as part of the 2008 recruiting class, but failed to qualify academically. He spent the fall getting prepared to enter Buffalo.

???At 6 feet 3 inches tall and 240 pounds, Willis brings physical presence to an area of the Buffalo defense that lacked size. He is already enrolled in the school, providing him with extra time to get acclimated to the system.

???"[Middle linebacker] was one area we really emphasized," Gill said. "Being here now gives him an opportunity to come in and establish himself at linebacker."

???Defensive tackle was another area in which the Bulls sought a standout. After seeing the defensive line struggle during the International Bowl, Gill wanted an immediate plug in the middle.

???Kenny Scott will come in to fill that void. The 6-foot-1, 300-pound defensive tackle is the only other newcomer currently enrolled in the school. Scott comes to Buffalo after playing a year at Tulsa and a year at Georgia Military College. He will be a junior next season. Coming out of high school, Scott was ranked the 44th best defensive tackle by www.scout.com.

???"[Defensive tackle] was another area on the defense where we wanted to get stronger, bigger in size, more physical and more athletic. Kenny Scott definitely gives that to us," Gill said. "He is a little bit of an older guy and somebody that came here with a little bit of experience and play right away."

???The Bulls also signed an immediate contributor to the offensive side of the ball. Rick Perez from Miami, Fla. has the chance to play next season at center. According to www.ESPN.com, Perez is the 11th best center in the class of 2009.

???"I think we got one of the better players in the country in Rick Perez," Gill said. "Whether he comes in and plays right away as a freshman, that'll be a little difficult to do but we'll give him an opportunity."

???Matt Jones could also produce immediately next season. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound linebacker from Aquinas Institute in Rochester signed with Syracuse last year. Like Willis, Jones spent the fall working on his academics.

???"I think [Jones] will be another dominant guy," Gill said. "He has tremendous speed and tremendous acceleration. He can flat-out run and can run around and make some plays."

???The Bulls open next season with a road game at UTEP on Sept. 5. They return home the following weekend to play Pittsburgh.