Ice rink to draw students outdoors

Inspired by a lack of events planned for this semester, Student Association (SA) Vice President Ashish Abraham looked for a student activity to fill the winter months. He decided to embrace the cold rather than despise it, and the plan to build an ice rink for students on the Special Events Field adjacent to the Student Union was born.

???"As much of as all of us love to hate the snow and gripe about how cold it is, it can be used as one of our biggest resources," said Marc Rosenblitt, SA's entertainment coordinator. "We decided to take a look at a different approach and thinking more along the lines of using it a resource instead of ignoring it."

???After deciding to put in an ice rink on campus, SA looked into renting an outdoor ice rink from local companies and found that an ice rink of their own to use for three or four days could be built at the same price of renting one for a day.

???"This is a testing-the-waters type of thing [to see] if we can get the type of draw to an outdoor event," Rosenblitt said. "We might expand it next year into doing something even bigger."

???The rink will be open for students to use free of charge, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 11, 12 and 13, weather permitting

???Skates will be provided to students who do not own any, but there is a limited number available.

???"We can't promise a size for everybody or that they won't have to wait to use a pair, but 40 pairs will be available," Rosenblitt said.

???Because safety is paramount, there will be a limit on how many people can skate at once, according to Rosenblitt.

???The Faculty Student Association will be selling hot chocolate next to rink for $1, making a trip to the rink and some cocoa an affordable Valentine's Day date.

???Half the size of an official ice rink, the SA rink will be 40 feet by 100 feet, at an expense of around $2,000 to $2,500.