Get lost in deep-seated creepiness

Rating: A

???Sometimes, wouldn't you just like to escape from this world-just get away from it all for a bit? Well, be careful what you wish for.

???Welcome to the world of Coraline, where when things seem a little too perfect, there might just be something dark lurking underneath. Coraline is directed by Henry Selick (Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach) and adapted from the novella by Neil Gaiman. Selick has created a visually stunning, dreamlike world where viewers can get lost in. The result is a beautifully animated film.

???Coraline centers on the titular heroine, Coraline Jones. Coraline and her parents have moved to a new apartment where it seems nothing is going right for her. Her parents have no time for her, the only kid her age is a bit odd, the neighbors are weird, and everyone keeps getting her name wrong.

???It seems, though, her luck changes upon discovering a small door in the wall. The door leads to a brand new world, known as Other World, where she meets her Other Mother and Other Father who are like exactly the same as her parents, except they are much nicer and oh, they have two black buttons for eyes.

???Everything seems to be going fine for Coraline in the new Other World until the Other Mother gives her an ultimatum, she can stay in the Other World as long as she likes, but the only condition is that she has to sew buttons where her eyes are. Something sinister is up with the Other Mother and with the help of a talking cat, Coraline has to get to the bottom of this.

???What stands out the most in Coraline are the visuals of the film. Master stop motion animator Selick perfectly captures the odd and high imaginative world of Gaiman's work. The world of Coraline, Other and normal, is richly detailed and half of the enjoyment of the film itself comes staring at what the animators have created.

???The normal world is perfectly dull and morose. Even though this world is supposed to be a very boring place, there is still an odd beauty to it. The sheer amount of detail that goes into creating the world and making it dull is nothing short of amazing.

???Other World, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. This is where Selick and crew let their imaginations run wild in creating a vibrant and highly imaginative world. It is a world with out-of-this-world gadgets and gorgeous dream-like qualities.

???Selick and crew are able, to imbue the Other World with a sinister quality in a great way. It may look like a dream, but there is a nightmare crawling underneath. The sinister thought always lingering over the viewer's head is a wonderful effect created by the film.

???Recently, the use of 3-D in films has gained some prominence. Coraline quite possibly uses 3-D to its best effect. The wonderful world of Coraline literally bursts out from the screen. It adds a whole new layer of enjoyment to the film. 3-D is a must to fully enjoy Coraline.

???Besides the visuals, Coraline's other strong point is the voice cast, which truly bring the characters alive. Dakota Fanning (Push) plays the title character to great effect. Fanning brings the too-smart-for-her-age attitude to Coraline which really fits the character.

???Terri Hatcher (Resurrecting the Champ) and John Hodgman (frequent collaborator on The Daily Show) are both inspired choices for Mother/Other Mother and Father/Other Father, respectively. Hatcher especially is able to bring a deep-seated creepiness the Other Mother that chills the viewer.

???Rounding out the cast is Keith David (Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia) as the Cat, Ian McShane (Death Race) as Mr. Bobinsky and Robert Bailey Jr. (The Happening) as Coraline's friend Wybie Lovat. David as the talking Cat, which brings about allusions to the Cheshire Cat of Alice in Wonderland, is very entertaining. McShane brings to life the odd Russian acrobat neighbor who is a blast to watch, while Bailey as Wybie does a great job at playing Coraline's odd friend.

???From the beginning, Coraline drags the viewer into its world with its unique, out-of-this-world visuals. This movie is not just for children, but all ages. Coraline may be one of the best animated movies of the year.