Don't pass on the tater salad

???The thick smell of scotch and cheap cigars lurked closely as audience members wandered into the Center for the Arts Friday evening, giving the notion that on this night, UB's class would be headed down south.

???First and foremost, there was more camouflage clothing seen being worn than in the grandstands at last week's Daytona 500, and despite what you camo-enthusiasts may believe, we could still see you.

???Secondly, a bar right in the corridor served up a variety of beer and liquor while passers-by were forced to listen to some good, old-fashioned southern rock.

???This southern fried, blue-collar delight came to UB thanks to one man - Mr. Ron White.

???A stand-up veteran for 20 years, White didn't catch his big break until The Blue Collar Comedy Tour, after which he was thrust into the redneck comedy superstar spotlight in which he resides today.

???The night began with opener Alex Reymundo, taking the stage and broadcasting his history. Born in Mexico, raised in Texas, and having lived in the state of Kentucky for seven years, Reymundo is well traveled, to say the least.

???Reymundo came out hoping to warm up the crowd, and that's exactly what he did. At the beginning of his set, no one knew who he was, but by the end of his stand-up, Reymundo had the whole crowd slapping their knees.

???For the 30 minutes that he was on stage, Reymundo covered a lot of ground, touching any and every topic, extending from a simple Mexican joke to more personal jokes about his family and his "hillbilly" in-laws.

???After Reymundo finished his act, the crowd was serenaded by some more southern jams as they anxiously awaited the main act to take the stage.

???When White was ready, a spotlight shone upon his single stool on stage, decorated simply and tastefully with a bottle of alcohol and an ashtray.

???The whole crowd knew what that meant and went wild in anticipation.

???White started off his night by making a joke about the stupidity of people, offering no remorse for any of the words that seemed to roll off his tongue.

???White talked about almost anything imaginable in his 60-minute stand-up, which included the story of his slipup in getting arrested for drug possession.

???"When I have seven-eighths of a gram left, I consider myself out of pot," White said.

???He swiftly moved through material, diving into a range of topics like heated toilet seats and the simple idiocracy he seems to have when it comes to interacting with his wife.

???The crowd ate up every word that Mr. White spewed, taking his whole act to another level as he received huge responses from his collection of fans.

???Although Ron White may not be a comedian that most college students are into, the audience gave him a well-deserved standing ovation at night's end, proving that the alcohol-swilling showman can still bring down the house after 20 years in the business.