Lady Bulls continue downward spiral

For the women's basketball team, fortunes have been anything but good.

On Wednesday night, a productive second half could not save the Bulls (4-12, 0-3 Mid-American Conference). Poor shooting doomed the Bulls as they lost to Kent State (12-3, 1-2 MAC) 79-61. It was the Bulls' ninth straight loss.

"Right now it's inconsistency and a lack of fundamentals," said head coach Linda Hill-MacDonald.

Buffalo found itself in a hole early as the Golden Flashes shot 44.1 percent from the floor in the first half and grabbed a 14-4 lead in the first four and a half minutes.

Kent State increased its lead to 17 before Buffalo gained momentum and cut the lead to 12 before halftime. Unfortunately, Kent State guard Stephanie Gibson sank a desperation 45-foot 3-pointer as time expired to put the Golden Flashes up by 15 at halftime.

The buzzer-beating heave took the air from the Bulls' sail. Kent State came out of the locker room and built up a 22-point lead in the second half.

Frustration built up, but the Bulls continued to battle. They took advantage of Kent State turnovers and cut the lead to as little as 10 on two occasions. Junior guard Rachelle Matthys, who scored 22 points with four 3-pointers, nailed a trey with around three minutes left to give the Bulls a chance late.

But it was too little, too late as the Golden Flashes finished the game with an 8-0 run to close the Bulls out.

Kent State's second-chance points visibly disturbed Hill-MacDonald.

"You can't give into the frustration," she said. "You must get stops. The possession ends when you get possession, and too many times we let them grab offensive rebounds."

The Bulls lack productive performances from the players that have led them this year. Senior Jamie Schiebner struggled from the floor, shooting 4-of-16 and committing seven turnovers. She left the game late with a leg injury.

Along with Schiebner, senior forward Kourtney Brown lacked effectiveness. Coming off her 26-point performance against Akron, she attempted one shot and was out-worked down low by Kent State's post players.

"Jamie gets too anxious at times. It was evident by her seven turnovers. Slowing down with the basketball is key," Hill-MacDonald said. "Kourtney was getting beat up down low. We need for her to get tougher and stronger."

This Saturday, the women's team will play the first game of a doubleheader at Alumni Arena. The game, against Miami (OH), takes place at 2 p.m.