Journey out of the MAC basement

???The men's basketball team has fallen on tough times recently. After three straight seasons of at least 17 wins, the last two seasons brought disappointment, the Bulls winning only 22 games combined.

???But with their top eight scorers from last year returning along with an influx of new talent, the Bulls hope to reverse their fortunes this season.

???Last season's 10-20 record, including a 3-13 record in Mid-American Conference play, frustrated players and fans alike. The team led the conference in scoring and offensive rebounding, but finished last in defensive rebounding and 11th in overall defense.

???"Improving our defense is the key for this season," said senior guard Greg Gamble. "We led the conference in scoring so points are not the issue, we just need to stop other teams from scoring."

???Head coach Reggie Witherspoon takes only the positives from the unsuccessful year and wants to build on them.

???"The players went through enough adversity to have some growth," he said. "They stayed in games and fought with teams that had senior leadership, and right now I think they're looking for another swing."

???Even with the experience, the Bulls were predicted finish last in the MAC East Division this year by the media.

???Despite the predictions, Witherspoon knows they control their own destiny.

???"Very rarely are those predictions true," Witherspoon said. "We've made great strides. We're working hard to improve in the areas we need work in."

???Leading the Bulls this season is a group of seniors hoping to experience the success they were a part of their freshman year, when the team won 19 games during the 2005-06 season.

???Gamble is the emotional leader of the team. After playing primarily small forward his first three seasons, Witherspoon decided to start Gamble out at point guard this season. Last season, Gamble finished with 8.6 points and 4.4 rebounds a game while starting all 30 games.

???"I've learned a lot since I moved to point guard," Gamble said. "I'm just looking forward to get some real playing time at the position."

???According to Witherspoon, Gamble's leadership factored into the coach's decision to move the versatile senior to point guard.

???"He's provided leadership, he's respected by all of his teammates, and we need leadership from the point guard position," Witherspoon said.

???Senior guard Andy Robinson joins Gamble in the backcourt. He comes back as the team's returning leading scorer after tallying 13.1 points a game last season. Robinson also led the team in steals and three-point shooting.

???Robinson will sit out the first three games of the season out due to academic reasons.

???Even though the Bulls will miss Robinson at the beginning of the season, they welcome back a starter who a season-ending injury last year. Senior Vadim Feditov will start at center after suffering a knee injury that limited him to 15 games in 2007-08.

???The return of Feditov to the lineup will help the interior defense of the Bulls as well as provide more depth. Witherspoon also believes Feditov's experience will provide the Bulls with more polished play in the paint.

???"Having Vadim back gives us experience. He's someone who has been around long enough and knows what to expect during the season." Witherspoon said.

???Feditov is one of 11 juniors and seniors on the roster. Witherspoon is excited the Bulls now have experienced leaders this season, something they did not really possess the last two years.

???"Our guys have the right mindset now and are looking forward to a new season," Witherspoon said.

???Having experience in the roster will help a pair of freshmen adjust to the college game. Freshmen forwards Titus Robinson and Mitchell Watt are expected to contribute youthful energy for the seasoned Bulls.

???With Robinson giving the Bulls an athletic, defensive stopper and Watt providing three-point shooting and rebounding, Witherspoon is excited to get the freshmen in real game action.

???"They have tremendous individual talent," he said. "Right now it's about getting them through the adjustment period all freshmen go through, but it's only a matter of time for them."

???The pieces are in place for the Bulls to get out of the MAC basement. Everyone on the team is ready to start the season, which begins at Youngstown State on Saturday.

???"We're hungry," Gamble said. "We're all ready to get out there, compete and prove everyone wrong."