Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Bulls squeak past Bonnies

???On paper, the last five games have been a breeze for the men's soccer team, winning four and ending another in a tie. Senior goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth had recorded 476 consecutive shutout minutes, the longest streak in Buffalo history.

???The Bulls' remarkable run continued on Friday against St. Bonaventure (1-2-3) with a 1-0 victory, but it was no breeze.

???As the game began, the Bulls (8-2-1) struck first against the Bonnies. Senior defender Dan Gwyther hooked up with junior forward Marc Stencel for a smooth give-and-go that caught the Bonnie's defense flatfooted. Gwyther passed the ball on to Stencel and then made a run towards the goal.

???With a precise through ball, Stencel led Gwyther perfectly past two defenders into the box, creating a prime scoring opportunity. St. Bonaventure goalie David Flynn attempted to cut off the shooter's angle by charging forward, but Gwyther's left footed strike nipped the right post and trickled in, giving all the lead they would need.

???The play made Gwyther look like a striker, not a defender. He says that it was a gut feeling, which provided him the feeling to shoot.

???"It was instinct really," Gwyther said. "I saw the play build up, got the ball to Stencel, he gave it back to me and I was able to put it in the back of the net."

???Last season, Gwyther scored a goal in the last minute of overtime against the Bonnies, propelling the Bulls to victory. Gwyther is a versatile player who has been the crux of the defense this season. He accredits the team's recent success to "hard work and communication."

???Injuries have sidelined starting defenders junior Steffen Thoresen and seniors Eric Johnson and Dezi Lara. The loss of the trio has not halted the Bulls success as the new defense unit has gelled well, helping to keep Shuttleworth's shutout streak alive.

???Though the Bulls led the entire match, their efforts grew lackluster. Thirty-four minutes into the game, St. Bonaventure's defender Matt Culo was sent off. Sophomore midfielder Rich Wilson was on a break away with only the goal keeper to beat. Culo tripped him up and received a red card for his play. For the rest of the match, the Bulls had an extra man on the pitch, yet their play diminished.

???In the 65th minute, Shuttleworth's shutout streak almost came to a screeching halt. St. Bonaventure's junior defender Joe Miller blasted a free kick that nearly hit the net. The ball careened off the left post and jutted out towards the sideline.

???The Bulls were up a man for more than half of the match, but were unable to net any more goals. Astudillo attributed the poor play to impatience.

??? "Sometimes you take a good win, sometimes you take an ugly win, but you take the win either way," Astudillo said.

???See Wednesday's issue for coverage of the Bulls' match against Duquesne.