Running with the Bulls

In prior seasons, the Buffalo Bulls basketball team has primarily relied on its frontcourt depth to win games. However, unlike previous years, Mighty Maniacs will be watching a different kind of Bulls team, one that is guard-oriented and likes to run.

The Bulls are coming off a disappointing 12-19 season during which they only won four Mid-American Conference (MAC) games. Head coach Reggie Witherspoon said it was tough to handle the disappointment, but was quick to point out the accomplishments of the year.

"It's always hard to handle when you don't get the success that you want, but in the end, a lot of good things came out of last year," he said. "We beat an ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) team that ended up having a good season. We beat Temple at Temple, and played well enough to win here against Pitt. A lot of the core guys that had those accomplishments are back."

Fortunately for the Bulls, the new season brings hope and a clean slate. At the same time, it also means they have to cut ties with a couple of formidable options.

Three of the top four scorers from last year's squad are gone. Both center Yassin Idbihi and power forward Parnell Smith graduated, while point guard Eric Moore transferred to Farleigh Dickinson University.

Witherspoon will have to find a way to replace Idbihi and Smith, who led the Bulls last season in rebounding.

"It's going to have to be a collective effort in terms of replacing that kind of experience and character," Witherspoon said. "My hope is that we have enough of a collection of guys to be able to achieve that."

Two big guys that will be vying for playing time underneath the hoop are new to the program. Freshman power forward Jawaan Alston and junior power forward Brian Addison, a transfer from Monroe Community College, will hope to lessen the blow of Idbihi and Smith's departure.

Along with walk-on freshman forward David Barrett, the new players have impressed Coach Witherspoon so far.

"I've seen a lot of very good things from them," Witherspoon said. "The one constant I think all of them share is that they have tremendous energy. They have good quickness and very good length. They're also very athletic, and they get up and down the floor pretty well."

A team full of fast, athletic guards bodes well for the season. Led by junior shooting guard Andy Robinson, the leading returning scorer from last year, and sophomore point guard Byron Mulkey, the Bulls expect to run more than they have in previous years.

"We expect to run like ten times as much as we did last year," Robinson said. "Our post guys are really quick, so we're just going to run when we can."

Witherspoon also believes that with the depth at the guard positions, the team will use their athleticism to their advantage.

"I think we will run it more and pressure more. Not only do we have more guys, but I think their strengths lie with that quicker pace," he said.

Mulkey will be the starting point guard for the Bulls. He averaged 9.3 points per a game as a freshman and hopes to continue making strides, especially in the turnover department. The Bulls averaged 19.1 turnovers a game as a team last season.

"It's all up to us. It's in our minds as far as being comfortable and confident in the decision we're making," Mulkey said. "If we do that, the turnovers will definitely come down."

Witherspoon also acknowledged that turnovers hurt the team last year, and has made some changes.

"We've changed a few things. Not major things, but a few different wrinkles, to play to guys strengths," Witherspoon said. "We started to make some improvement in that area. We feel like if we can continue improving, and sustain our ability to rebound, then we're going to really be helped."

The other definite starter for the Bulls is junior small forward Greg Gamble. Gamble averaged 6.2 points and 4.7 rebounds per game last year. He had a fantastic summer, leading the Western Region team to the gold medal in the Empire State Games by scoring 22 points in the final game.

Witherspoon is excited to see what Gamble can provide this upcoming season.

"I think (Greg) is a lot more sure of himself, a lot more confident," he said. "He can do a lot of things, and I think he has lost his hesitation, so I expect him to be a lot more assertive."

The Bulls open up their season in the Coaches vs. Cancer regional in Storrs, CT. They tip off the tournament against Ohio Valley on Nov. 7.