Buffalo roams again

Control board, mayoral election offer hope for the city's future.

There is a saying that once you hit rock bottom, the only place left to go is up. And that is why Buffalo's future looks promising in comparison to its recent past. Better days lie ahead for a city that has taken body blows for decades, yet refused to fall. A city that has been a whipping boy for comedians, broadcasters and the national press over the years just might find itself having the last laugh in the end.

The reason for renewed optimism is that the climate that allowed decisions to be made that had detrimental effects on the city collectively is slowly fading away. The inefficient style of government that has dismally failed Buffalonians for 30 years is on its way out. The Buffalo Fiscal Stability Authority, better known as "the control board," has brought accountability to the city's finances and is exerting influence in other ways. Though Buffalo had to take out a $19 million loan to cover its expenses for the 2004-05 fiscal year, only $5.7 million was needed, which meant they had a $12.3 million surplus. This is a major accomplishment for a city that bleeds red ink continually and proves that the ever-present mismanagement style that plagued the city can be overcome. The recent dispute surrounding interim chief Kevin Marchman's hiring by the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority is another indication that business is not usual due to the control board's oversight. The BMHA hired Marchman without the board's consent, after a freeze on new hires had been implemented, and did so without mayor Masiello's approval. After apologizing to the control board for breaking the law, BMHA has delayed the hiring of a new chief until after the mayoral election in November.

The race for mayor is another example of why things are looking up for Buffalo. The utter and complete failure of Anthony Masiello's tenure is coming to an end and desperately needed change is near. What makes this race appealing is that the dire state the city finds itself in will have to be addressed by the candidates. This will not be a race of sterile pre-packed sound bites but one of substance. Both Democrat Byron Brown and Republican Kevin Helfer will have to provide specifics as to what their platforms entail in leading Buffalo to successes. Buffalo is an overwhelmingly Democratic town, but nearly 41 percent of them voted against Brown in the primary, while Helfer was able to win the Conservative line that affords him badly needed campaign cash. There is also the Green Party candidacy of Judy Einach to contend with that has the potential of stealing votes from Brown, so the race is viewed by pundits as wide open. Brown's opposition is painting him as a tool of special interests and one who would maintain the status quo.

Helfer's critics point to his work within Erie County Executive Joel Giambra's administration, which currently finds itself in a fiscal crisis similar to Buffalo's. Both sides have begun slinging mud but issues that matter will move to the forefront as November approaches. Helfer's plan to invest in economic development resources for home grown businesses will be debated as will Brown's last ten years in public office.

Regardless of who wins Buffalo's mayoral race, the city appears to be turning a corner. A new mayor combined with the control board's oversight will ensure that the mistakes of the past wont be repeated.

Things seem to be looking up for Buffalo and it has nothing to do with its football team.