Ask a UB Official

Why Doesn't UB Build More Lots?

Spectrum: Thanks for taking the time to discuss UB's parking problem with the students. First, how serious of a parking problem do you think UB has?

Dennis Black: Obviously, if you are trying to find a good spot, there's a problem. If you circle the lots endlessly waiting for that great spot, you'll circle for a long while. But if you take the first spot you see when you come to campus, in Governors W-4 lot, for instance, your wait time is greatly reduced.

S: But won't that spot be very far away from the Spine?

DB: Far is a relative term. See, sometimes my spot right outside Capen is taken, so I have to park a few slots down in Tripathi's space. That can be rough, I even broke a sweat once.

S: Right. Ahem. Well anyway, won't more lots reduce problems? Maybe a parking garage?

DB: That's an interesting idea. We have the money for it, for sure. But there is one major consideration here - we don't want to take away from campus green space and aesthetic beauty. Parking lots, as you know, are ugly and we wouldn't want to ruin the immaculate landscape of North Campus.

S: Green space?!?! [falls out of chair]

DB: What's wrong?

S: Green space? Hasn't that ship sailed? Say, 20 years ago?

DB: [chuckles] That's a bit of an exaggeration I'd say. The bottom line is, it's a matter of investment. We prefer to invest in high-yield projects that students really care about. Like our football team. And investiture ceremonies.

S: Right, OK, well I'd love to cover some more ground about UB's parking problem, but I have to get to my car. [Straps on cross-country skis and checks backpack for emergency flares]

DB: Thanks for coming by.