UB Set to Ride Tonight's 'Title Wave'

On the heels of the successful "Sea of Blue" that washed away the then Mid-American Conference-leading Kent State Golden Flashes, UB is dubbing tonight's first-ever men's home MAC playoff game between the Buffalo Bulls and Northern Illinois Huskies as the "Sea of Blue II: Title Wave."

"The response we received to the first 'Sea of Blue' promotion was simply overwhelming," said Associate Athletic Director of External Relations John Lambert. "But, we think this will be even better. Once again we're asking all fans to wear their UB blue, bring a wave of noise, and be the sixth man that will allow us to get to Cleveland for the MAC Tournament and a possible shot at the NCAA Tournament."

Bulls' head coach Reggie Witherspoon also feels that a wave of blue-clad students could overwhelm the Huskies.

"I think it will make it very difficult for our opponent," said Witherspoon of the 'Sea of Blue.' "I want our opponents to feel as though they are playing against every one of our students, not just the guys on the team."

Since tonight's game is a MAC Tournament game and technically not a UB game, student tickets are priced at $5 a piece. The Division of Athletics however, has bought out 2,000 of the student tickets and will be giving them out for free to the UB students who arrive at the game with valid ID's when the doors open at 5:45 p.m.

The excitement on campus and the surrounding community has pushed UB officials to confirm that not just two sets of bleachers, but all three will be pulled out for tonight's expected record-breaking crowd. Over 6,100 people showed up for the Kent State game, and the number for tonight's game is estimated to be in the ballpark of 8,000, a turnout only bested by 1999's standing room only crowd of 8,962 for the UNC-UB game.

Turner Battle and the Buffalo Bulls feel that the crowd will catch the Huskies off guard.

"They will probably be surprised," said Battle. "I think it will definitely affect them and help us."

The buzz generated from UB's victories in eleven of their last thirteen games, as well as seven straight, has brought something to the University that has not been felt in quite some time.

"It's very exciting," said Battle. "Everyone's dream right now is to get to Cleveland and the NCAA Tournament. This year I feel we have a legit shot if we keep playing team ball and trusting each other."

Buffalo freshman center Yassin Idbihi echoes a confident feeling that Bulls' fans have been boasting during the team' recent surge up the standings.

"I know we can beat any team in the MAC," said Idbihi. "We're not scared of any team in the MAC and I don't think any team in the MAC is better than us."

Tip off for tonight's game between the No. 5 seeded Bulls and the No. 12 seeded Huskies is set for 7 p.m. in Alumni Arena.

The winner of tonight's UB game will face the winner of No. 4 Toledo versus No. 13 Central Michigan on at 9 p.m. on Thursday night in Cleveland's Gund Arena.

The game will be aired live on the Empire Sports Network.