"What Goes Around, Comes Around"

KSU escapes Alumni Arena with a Buzzer-Beating Victory

Edit Note: This was an amazing game, as those of you who were there know. Kent State was a great team who made an appearance in the MAC Championship game, and there were some classic quotes from this story, Battle's in particular is great.

With 7.6 seconds left in a game tied at 66, University at Buffalo guard Turner Battle charged down the floor, and dropped a beauty through the net to give Buffalo a two point lead over Kent State with only 2.3 seconds remaining.

Play resumed on a full-court pass down to Kent State's star forward Antonio Gates that was tipped and fell into the waiting hands of Bryan Bedford for a last second, last chance three-pointer that hit nothing but net and silenced the rabid crowd.

"When I saw that shot go up I had a feeling it was going in," Battle said. "For some reason it always happens to us. That last-second shot always goes in."

"College basketball is a funny game, sometimes you win some games you should lose and lose some games you should win," said Kent State head coach Jim Christian.

The Bulls shot a spectacular 51.6 percent from the field (16-31) in perhaps the best half of basketball the team played all year. Kent State, who came in as the nation's top team in field goal percentage, shot a poor 37.9 percent (11-29) and could not combat a UB lead of up to 10 points.

The second half was a slightly different story.

KSU guard Eric Haut, who had 23 points on the night, consistently killed Buffalo from the field downing three important 3-pointers (six total) to close the gap. With 4:57 left in the game, Gates tied it up 58-58 with a lay up.

UB had great performances from freshman Walker, who in the absence of an injured Clement Smith delivered 21 points and 10 rebounds.

Battle also had a great night of basketball, exhibiting leadership on the court and being the go to guy when the team needed him most, finishing with 18 points, seven rebounds, and five assists.