That Orange Seat Mystique

Being a Mets fan for some time, you learn to accept both the good and the bad. A World Series appearance every 15 years or so mixes in well with failed "can't miss" prospects that typically result in an offseason rebuilding process that will inevitably lead to disgruntled fans and an exorbitant payroll that includes an over the hill and oft injured roster.

This is a list of "The 15 reasons why I'm a Mets fan."

If a Yankee fanatic made a similar list it would be filled with World Series victories, perfect games and hall of famers. Unfortunately, Mets fans aren't so lucky. We expect the worst, and these are the things that in a weird way become cherished memories. Why make the list? Simple. Because every sports fan loves two things: pointless nostalgia and lists.

15. Signing Mike Piazza

On October 26, 1998, the Mets signed catcher Mike Piazza to a seven-year, 91-million-dollar deal that made Piazza, at that time, the highest paid player in the game. We all thought we had our savior, but over the years we have learned that while Piazza may be the greatest offensive catcher of all time, he's no A-Rod or Giambi.

14. Chasing Bartolo Colon Out of Town

A personal highlight of mine, from the dismal 2002 season, occurred when the Expos came to Shea for a July night game. Yes, the game was exciting, but what was even more exciting was the fact that I was sitting in the picnic area (the seats right behind the outfield fence) in a section reserved for employees of the Miller Beer Company. An unlimited tap and access to the opponent's starting pitcher during pre-game warmups led to my shining moment. After finishing up his warmups, ace Colon refused to give the ball to the one kid sitting in our section. Upon witnessing this, I knew it was my time. I stood up and in a profanity-laced tirade, told Colon to get the hell out of Shea. Bottom line, Colon started running away and went on to lose the game. Mission accomplished.

13. 1988 Playoff Run

Mets-Dodgers happened at a time when just two teams from each league made the playoffs. New York went 100-60, but it was the Dodgers' year, as they later went on to beat Oakland on Kirk Gibson's blast. It's hard not to hold New York personally responsible for Tommy Lasorda's newfound celebrity which gave us years of Lasorda and catcher Mike Scioscia in Slim Fast ads discussing their decreasing waist lines. Ugh.

12. The Apple in the Top Hat that Goes Up and Down

At the center of a Shea Stadium experience is the Big Apple rising after a home run. More important than the home run itself, the apple has a strange effect on people. It makes them delirious. Useless Knowledge: The apple raised for the first time on a Ron "son of Gil" Hodges home run.

11. Carl Everett BMX Incident

I was waiting patiently after a Mets game, circa '94, for autographs. Everett, then a Met, walks out and sees a kid on a BMX bike. Everett's eyes light up, he hops on the bike, and starts jumping cars and swerving in and out of parking lot traffic like a crazed madman. This was two seasons before Mets management realized he was out of control and five years before the rest of baseball did. Last time I checked, Everett plays for the Rangers. Go figure.

10. HOJO

A great nickname holder, a fan favorite, and a long ball hitter, Howard Johnson was a three-time 30 Home Runs/30 Stolen Bases player when that stat meant something. Johnson also inspired a classic Simpson's moment.

Homer (to Bart): "Do you wanna change your name to Homer Junior? The kids can call you Hoju!"

This look into the "classic" history of the Mets will be continued next Friday ...