Softball Team Update

UB's Playoff Chances Hinge on Upcoming Series

As the softball season winds down, the UB Bulls have crucial games in the coming weeks that will determine whether or not they will earn a shot at the MAC playoffs (May 8-10, Firestone Stadium, Akron, Ohio). Buffalo has a 14-16 overall record (10-8 outside the MAC), but have continued to struggle in MAC play going just 4-8. The Bulls sit in second to last place in a very crowded MAC East division.

Over the course of the season UB has rarely been blown out, despite losing all but one series to MAC teams (Ohio was their only winning series). They have only been swept once, by Kent State, whom they defeated earlier in the season at the Malihini Invitational.

"Overall, we're getting more respect from the teams in the MAC," said head coach Marie Curran.

Buffalo has had an easy time with local competition this year, sweeping a two-game series against Niagara in late March and most recently sweeping Canisius last Wednesday.

Sophomore pitcher Stacey Evans struck out eight batters against Canisius to break her own record for strikeouts in a season. Her total of 112 strikeouts on the season tops her 2002 season total of 101. In less than two seasons, Evans is UB's career strikeout leader with 213 Ks.

"Stacy does a great job, (she is) a great competitor, all she cares about is winning and losing. In the future I see her as not only being All-MAC, but being the best pitcher in the MAC," said Curran.

Junior Breanne Nasti leads the team with a .381 batting average. Nasti is currently in the middle of a six-game hitting streak and has recorded at least one hit in 13 of Buffalo's last 16 games, dating back to the start of the MAC season. During the streak Nasti has a .563 average. She's also leading the Bulls in hits (32), runs scored (15), doubles (8), total bases (40), slugging percentage (.476) and on-base percentage (.475).

Currently, UB finds themselves on the outside looking in when it comes to landing a shot at the MAC playoffs. Only the top six teams in the conference make it and Buffalo is currently in 10th place. But the future is bright, and in the coming weeks the Bulls have a chance to make up ground quickly as the play against teams that currently stand between them and the playoffs. Buffalo faces No. 6 Miami (Ohio) April 25 and 26, No. 3 Western Michigan on April 29, and No. 8 Akron on May 3 and 4. Key wins down the stretch over these MAC teams will equal a trip to Ohio for the Bulls.

"We're going head to head against the teams we need to beat, we're playing eight games total, six of those at home ... We've been hitting the ball real well, the pitching staff has come together, and we're excited," Curran said.

UB will be home this weekend to welcome Miami (Ohio) University. The series begins Friday at 3 p.m. and concludes with a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday.