Inept Offense Leads to Series Loss at Akron

When a team scores seven total runs in a four game series, and their opponent scores eight in the first game of that series, the outcome of the series becomes pretty obvious.

Friday afternoon, UB's baseball team (4-15,1-5 Mid-American Conference) traveled to Akron, Ohio to open a four game series against the Zips at Lee Jackson Field.

Akron (8-11,3-1 MAC) started off strong and dominated Buffalo 8-0 in the opener.

In the first inning Akron batted around, scored four runs, and took complete control of the contest, led by a bases loaded double by Tom Lindhe that scored two runs. The Zips scored two more in the fourth inning, and runs in the sixth and the eighth to earn the 8-0 victory.

Akron starter Frank Mendoza (3-1) pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing just four hits to pick up his third win of the season.

The Bulls had a total of eight hits by eight different players, including a double by Brian Zelasko, UB's lone extra-base hit.

UB starter Mark McMahon (1-3) allowed six earned runs on eight hits and was charged with the loss. Kyle Swiatocha and Matt Franklin each allowed one run in two innings of relief.

"McMahon gave up four early runs and struggled, he's our primary lefthander and we need better production," said UB head coach Bill Breene.

On Saturday, Buffalo came back to Lee Jackson Field, looking to earn their first MAC win of the season in a double-header against the Zips. The first game went to Akron 4-1, but Buffalo took the nightcap 4-1, splitting the double-header.

Game one featured two pitchers in top form. Akron starter Pat Watt (1-2) threw a complete game, allowing just one run on one hit. Watt had a no hitter going into the sixth inning, spoiled by a single by Buffalo's Phil Vanhorne. UB pitcher Tyler Balentine (0-3) also pitched the distance, giving up four hits and three earned runs.

"Balentine threw well enough to win," said Breene. "We played errorless ball in the field, we're just not scoring enough runs."

The Zips first took a 1-0 lead off a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the first, but Buffalo tied the game in the third when David Amaro scored on a wild pitch.

An RBI single by Akron's Doug Kruthaupt in the fourth inning gave the Zips a 2-1 advantage. Akron finished off UB in the sixth inning when Kruthaupt lined a double to score the Zips final two runs.

In game two of the doubleheader, Buffalo's Nick Bellacose (1-2) threw a gem, giving up no earned runs and just four hits over eight innings to earn his first win of the year.

Buffalo got on the board in the fifth inning, when Jordan Alcott scored on a sacrifice fly by Joe Mihalic, and Brandon Dicesare, who was a perfect 3-3 in the game, crossed the plate on a passed ball.

UB scored two more in the top of the eighth on a single by Andrew Wengert that scored Mihalic and a single by James Kingsley that scored Wengert to give Buffalo a 4-0 lead.

"Bellacose threw one of the best games of his career, and has been throwing well so far this season," said Breene.

Buffalo closed out the series Sunday afternoon, losing 4-2 to finish off a long weekend.

Akron got off to a quick 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning when Israel Victor kick-started the inning with a triple and was batted in by a Kruthaupt single. Buffalo starter John Sullivan kept his composure and did not allow another run until the bottom of the sixth inning when Craig Welch scored on a sacrifice fly to make the score 2-0.

UB's Chris McGraw (1-1) relieved Sullivan in the seventh inning, allowed two runs in the eighth inning and was charged with the loss.

Akron starter Aaron Gangi (2-2) threw a complete game, allowing one earned run on seven hits to gain the win. Sullivan gave up two runs on six hits, striking out three over six innings.

"Three of our four starters threw games we should've won," said Breene. "Our hitters aren't getting it done. The two teams (Akron and Buffalo) have a lot in common, decent pitching, good fielding, but we couldn't get the clutch hits we needed to win the games."

The Bulls lost the series 3-1 and come home to host Le Moyne at the Amherst Pepsi Center Field in a doubleheader today beginning at 1 p.m. The games were originally scheduled for Tuesday.