"For UB, Turnaround Season Ends in Tears"

It was tough to watch, and even tougher to listen to after the game. For all that the women's basketball team accomplished this season, it's a shame that the team's seniors went out on a game they would rather forget. UB met Ball State in the quarterfinal round of the MAC Tournament and was dominated from start to finish, their season ending with a resounding thud ... and lots of tears.

CLEVELAND, OHIO - The UB women's basketball season ended amid tears last Wednesday (March 12, 2003) as No. 6 Buffalo (18-11) fell to a red-hot No. 3 Ball State (19-8) team 81-63 in the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament at the Gund Arena. It was obviously a difficult night for a team that had doubled its win total from a year ago.

"We just weren't knocking shots down," said a teary-eyed Kim Kilpela after the game. "Not much else to say about it. Just open looks we couldn't knock down. When it's crunch time you got to do it."

"Our offense was flowing okay, but our shots weren't falling," said UB senior Kate McMeeken-Ruscoe. "We were getting good, open looks, and a good shot selection, but ... we just couldn't put anything in the hoop."

The Cardinals turned a five-point game into a 14-point lead, going on a 13-4 run to end the first half and went into halftime up 44-30. BSU then started the second half with a 13-2 run that made the score 57-32 with 16:25 left in the game.

"I felt that we had gotten out of the defensive schemes I had wanted to run," said UB head coach Cheryl Dozier. "What I was furious about was giving up 44 (in the first half). Defense has always been one of our trademarks since I've been here. We also gave them ten offensive boards, which gave them second chance opportunities. I felt like that was the issue with us."

Ball State scored an impressive 24 points off of Buffalo turnovers, and also had 13 second chance points. The Cardinals went 20-25 from the foul line and hit seven treys, both of which ultimately led to the Bulls fate.

"I saved my worst shooting performance for last," said McMeeken-Ruscoe. "I'm hugely disappointed," said an emotional McMeeken-Ruscoe. "We may not have beaten Ball State today, but we're a better team than this. I hope the young players use this experience for next year."