Down To The Wire

Herd Thunders On to Fifth MAC Title

Edit Note: This was perhaps the second-best football game in the country this season, with the National Championship coming in first. This game solidified Leftwich as a top pick in this year's NFL Draft, even before he shredded Louisville and Dave Ragone in the GMAC Bowl.

Heisman Trophy candidate Byron Leftwich from Marshall rifled a 40-yard pass to receiver and fellow senior Darius Watts to put the Thundering Herd ahead of the Toledo Rockets for good, 49-45 during the MAC Championship game played in Huntington, W. Va. Simply put, he made the play.

Toledo shredded Marshall on the ground, collecting 217 yards of rushing offense and scoring all six of their touchdowns running the ball. Redshirt freshman Trinity Dawson led the way with four touchdowns and 130 yards. True freshman Astin Martin added another touchdown and 75 yards.

Marshall countered with an incredible passing display reminiscent of the Buffalo Bills K-Gun. Leftwich was 32-42 for 404 yards and four touchdowns. Watts led all receivers with nine catches for 135 yards and two touchdowns. Denero Marriott added seven catches and two scores of his own.

In true championship fashion, big plays were the status quo. Few were bigger than the 36-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown in the second quarter by Marshall senior linebacker Duran Smith. It was the only defensive scoring play of the day.

Perhaps Toledo's best chance at halting the Thundering Herd came on the final drive - twice in fact - a few plays before the winning touchdown throw.

On first-and-25 from the Marshall 35-yard line, MAC Freshman of the Year runner-up Keon Jackson had two hands on a Leftwich pass intended for Josh Davis. Jackson could not hold on. On the next play the officials called Toledo for a questionable pass interference play that gave the Thundering Herd a first down at the UT 40-yard line.

A crowd of 24,582 were on hand to see Marshall's fifth MAC title in six years.