Bulls Look to Extend Winning Streak to Five Against Akron

Twenty-six days ago, on Feb. 1, the Buffalo Bulls women's basketball team was amid a two-game losing streak and turning the ball over like it was the trendy.

Nearly a month later, the Bulls (15-9, 7-6 Mid-American Conference) have cut down on their obscene amount of turnovers per game, reversing a two-game skid into a four-game winning streak against MAC opponents Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Ohio and Central Michigan. They now find themselves within two games of MAC East leading Miami of Ohio.

Playing an integral role in the recent winning streak has been the reduction of turnovers per game. UB has committed only an average of 17.8 turnovers per game over their past four contests, compared to their average of 24 turnovers per game over their previous seven games.

The Bulls face off against the Akron Zips (2-22, 1-12 MAC) Wednesday night at 7 p.m. in Alumni Arena. Akron is still looking for their first MAC road win in 16 attempts since 2001, as well as to put a halt to their nine-game MAC losing streak. UB has taken the past three consecutive games against Akron and seven of the last nine.

"We don't look at the records," said UB head coach Cheryl Dozier. "All we have to do is look at the last game against them where it was 48-45, and we had 26 turnovers ... and we had to win in overtime. Our kids know exactly what is on the line (Wednesday night)."

On the line is playoff seeding and a home game in the first round of the MAC Tournament. After Eastern Michigan (8-6 MAC) beat Western Michigan last night, the Bulls are now tied with Northern Illinois (7-6 MAC) for the No. 7 seed. A win Wednesday night would force Marshall, currently ninth, to win all three of their remaining games to have a chance at a home playoff game. The Bulls also have an outside chance at the MAC East Division title if they win out.

Ranked sixth in scoring in the MAC, Kate McMeeken-Ruscoe will try to continue her scoring frenzy against Akron on Wednesday. In addition to leading the Bulls on their recent winning streak, McMeeken-Ruscoe was named MAC East Player of the Week - averaging 26 points per game, five rebounds per game, 3.5 assists per game and three steals per game - for the week of Feb. 17. She also scored a career-high 30 points against Ohio last Wednesday and has had seven performances with at least 20 points thus far this season, four of which came within the past five games.

"I expect her to continue to be the leader that she has been for us," said Dozier. "Kate's not forcing shots, she's taking what the defense gives to her and knocking them down."

Kim Kilpela has also been turning it up lately with three double-doubles on the season, her most recent coming in an 11-point, 15-rebound performance against Central Michigan.

Buffalo's big-time playmaker, Hollie Cook, is averaging eight assists per game over her last four, and she is ranked second in the MAC in assists with 5.75 per game. She is tied for fourth in steals with 2.46 per game.

Akron is coached by first-year head coach Kelly Kennedy, whose team is led by 6'2" center Cassandra Martin. Martin is averaging 13.6 points and 7.8 rebounds per game. Guard Lindsay Hemmelgarn also contributes by averaging 9.4 points and 2.8 rebounds per game.

After the Akron game, the Bulls travel to Miami (Ohio) (14-10, 9-4 MAC) on March 1 to face off against the MAC East Division leaders. Following that crucial game is Buffalo's last game of the season against MAC East No. 2 and defending conference champion Kent State (13-11, 8-5 MAC) in Alumni Arena at 7 p.m. on March 4.