Leeper Earns MAC Freshman of the Year Honors

Most experts and coaches agree that there are better days ahead for the UB football team.

The first indication of which came Tuesday.

UB running back Aaron Leeper was named the MAC Freshman of the Year, an award voted on by the MAC media. He is the first UB player to win any of the conference's five major yearly awards (Freshman, Offensive, Defensive, Special Teams, and Coach of the Year).

Leeper became the Bulls' workhorse this season after senior running back Marquis Dwarte was injured on opening night. He went on to set school records for rushing yards (917) - the most for a Bulls running back since the team returned to Division I-A in 1999 - and touchdowns (10) by a freshman. On three occasions Leeper ran for over 100 yards in a game and had 1,267 yards of total offense.

"(This award) is good for both the team and myself," Leeper said. "I couldn't have earned it without the offensive line and the defensive, they help us get the ball and it allowed me to score."

"Aaron, I'm happy to say, we'll have the pleasure of coaching for quite some time," said UB Head Coach Jim Hofher. "Aaron was among a group of very good young players in the conference as well as on our own team."

Leeper, who earned 14 of the 50 votes cast, won a tight race for the award by two votes over Toledo wide receiver Keon Jackson. Central Florida kicker Matt Prater was third with eight votes and Ball State wide receiver Dante Ridgeway was fourth with seven.

"There were a lot of good players in the MAC who were also up for the award, it kind of came as a surprise but it's nice that I earned it," Leeper said.

Leeper thinks that the award could serve as a shot in the arm for a struggling program.

"I think it gives guys the motivation to do well and achieve great things," Leeper said. "We are going to work hard in the off-season and try to get some more honors next season."

The recent history of the MAC Freshman of the Year award has produced mixed results for its recipients. Last year's award winner, Miami QB Ben Roethlisberger, continues to shine. He was third in passing this season with 22 TDs and 11 interceptions. However, 2000's award winner, Ball State QB Talmadge Hill, eventually lost his starting job this season. The 1999 winner, Akron running back Brandon Payne, spent this season, his senior year, as a second fiddle to teammate Bob Hendry.

Leeper offered thoughts as to why some players win the award and are then passed on the depth chart by younger teammates.

"It could be due to someone getting a big head but it also gives other players motivation to do well. Dave Dawson is my backup, he sees that I do well and he'll motivate me and make me push harder, me getting that award will make him push harder."

The most famous winner of the MAC Freshman of the Year award is former Ball State running back Bernie Parmalee, who won the award in 1987. Parmalee spent nine seasons in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins and the New York Jets.

Bartoszek Earns All-MAC Second Team

UB tight end Chad Bartoszek was named to the All-MAC Second Team Offense Monday. He was also selected to play in the 2003 Rotary Gridiron College Classic on Jan. 25 at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fl.

Bartoszek ranked second on UB with 45 receptions for 350 yards this season. He finishes his Buffalo career ranked ninth on the team's all-time receptions list (95). He was an honorable mention for the All-MAC Team last season.

Bartoszek is the fourth Bull to earn the achievement. Former UB players Drew Haddad (now playing for the Indianapolis Colts), Brandon Shaughnessy, and Craig Rohlfs have also had All-MAC honors.