Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Wrestling Preview

A Firm Foundation

Last season, UB's wrestling team went 6-10 (1-4 MAC), the lowest win total in Head Coach Jim Beichner's seven seasons at Buffalo. The squad was plagued by lack of depth and a tough schedule.

For the 2002-03 campaign, Buffalo is on the brink of being extremely competitive. Key recruits were brought in to fill the gaps, and several returning players are developing and looking to make a major impact. This young team, featuring just two fifth year seniors, appears to be on the rise.

"We feel like our (weight) classes are filled with talented wrestlers, more talent than we've ever had in the past," said Beichner.

The 125-pound weight class is led by true freshman Mark Budd and backed up by Mike Sebaaly, a local athlete who was a redshirt last year.

"Both of these guys are very tough and we expect this to be a competitive weight class," said Beichner.

At 133 pounds UB brought in Mike Trotta, a transfer student from Nassau Community College. Trotta was a two-time junior All-American and fit Beichner's mold perfectly.

"We wanted someone with experience. He's an entertaining kid to watch because he does things defensively most kids can't; we think he's going to have a great year".

Cliff Smith and Adam Grillo are the new faces in the 141-pound weight class.

"We don't know how competitive this class will be but these guys are good athletes, good kids," Beichner said.

The 149-pound weight class features fifth year senior and co-captain Ryan Bentley. He is closing in on Josh State's UB record of 102 career victories. Last year, Bentley put up a record of 23-14,

"He needs only 22 wins to break the record; he is a great leader and a great student athlete," said Beichner

Sophomore Labe Black, a highly touted athlete, pilots the 157-pound weight class. The former New Jersey Wrestler of the Year, Black was 17-12 as a freshman and wore a redshirt last season to improve.

"He would've fit into our lineup last year, could've won a MAC title, but we felt he needed a year to develop ... The way I see him right now is the best he has ever looked," Beichner said.

Tom Paladino jumps from the149-pound class to 165 this year. After redshirting last season, Paladino has come back stronger, more competitive, and well balanced.

Returning in the 174-pound weight class is fifth year senior Gary Cooper. He went 19-11 last season, has over 80 career victories, and also has a great chance of breaking Buffalo's win record.

"As we get into the higher weights, this is when our team gets real tough," said Beichner.

Co-captain Garrett Bontempo leads the 184-pound weight class. In the 2001-02 season he put up 28 wins and only 10 losses as a junior.

"Garrett is a great leader and on the verge of being a national qualifier," said Beichner. "This year he's expected to do just as well if not better."

At 197-pounds is returning NCAA qualifier Kyle Cerminara. As a freshman he went 26-13 and won the MAC championships in his division.

"We're looking at him as our number one guy ... He has an extremely hard work ethic, nobody I know wants to win more than him," said Beichner.

The heavyweight division features soon-to-be phenom Tom Curl. A true freshman, Curl compiled quite a resume in high school, including a National Championship his senior year. Alone, he should be able to make a big difference in a lineup filled with talented wrestlers.

"He is probably the best recruit I've ever signed and this is my 15th year as a head coach at a Division I school."

As a team UB can be described as a solid competitive group, but it may be a few seasons before they can truly compete up to the level of their schedule, which includes tournament play with Ohio State, Virginia Tech and Princeton.

"What is often talked about is how we brought an 0-15 program to almost 70 wins over seven years," Beichner said. "What people don't realize is if we still had that schedule it would be easy to continue to do that, now our focus is to get the best possible competition we can get."

The major goal of this season is to get as many athletes to the NCAA championships as possible. Last season, the Bulls sent one athlete, Cerminara. This year they hope to send four or five.

The wrestling team opens up their season at the Oklahoma Gold Classic hosted by Brockport State this Saturday and come home for the first time this coming Thursday, Nov. 21 to take on Lock Haven.