Friday, May 03, 2024

Tragedy Strikes Bowling Green Women's Soccer Team

Quarterfinal Game Postponed Until Today

Leslie Dawley, 18, a true freshman forward/midfielder for the Bowling Green women's soccer team, suffered a seizure five minutes into her team's MAC quarterfinal game Tuesday afternoon at Cochrane Field in Bowling Green, Ohio, against the UB Bulls, and later passed away.

Dawley, who was standing away from the play at midfield while UB was attempting a corner kick deep in Bowling Green territory, collapsed face down on the field and was rushed by stretcher to a waiting ambulance and taken to a nearby medical facility. Team officials stated that Dawley was unconscious.

Following the incident, the teams attempted to re-start the game, but the Falcons were overcome emotionally and unable to play. Officials decided to postpone the game until 11 a.m. today after Dawley's family requested that the game be played.

"In light of today's tragic events, the game of soccer pales into insignificance. However, with the wishes of the Dawley family and the women's soccer program, we will honor the memory of Leslie Dawley by playing against Buffalo," BGSU Head Coach Andy Richards said. "Soccer is what brought Leslie to Bowling Green and, as hard as it is going to be to play that game, it is fitting to remember Leslie in the game she loves."

Dawley hailed from Westerville, Ohio, and attended high school at Thomas Worthington, where she earned All-Ohio Capital Conference First Team and All-Ohio Second Team honors during her senior season. She is survived by her parents, brother and two sisters.

UB Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Jon Fuller was in attendance for the game and contributed to this report.