Point/Counterpoint

The MAC Media, Bucky Gleason and Darren Baker

Perhaps this is a version of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption," the best show on television, in print. This week we came up with the questions on our own, but if you have an idea for a topic, e-mail it to us at ubsports@hotmail.com.

Question: The UB men's basketball team is picked to finish last in the East Division, according to the MAC media's pre-season poll. Is this ranking valid?

Mike: Darcel Williams, Louis Campbell and Robert Brown were UB's top three scorers from last season. They are all gone. These players also led UB in rebounding. Campbell led the team in steals. The Bulls are going to have to rely heavily on sophomores Turner Battle and Mark Bortz. While these players have a bright future they may take a step back this season without their veteran core. The MAC media know what they are talking about.

Rick: To some degree. I don't agree with the ranking because it doesn't take into account how the Bulls match up with the teams on their schedule. I expect Buffalo to finish ahead of Marshall. The seniors Buffalo lost to graduation weren't as consistent (especially Brown) as the current players have the potential to be.

Q: The UB women's basketball team is picked to finish second-last in the East Division, according to the MAC media's pre-season poll. Is this ranking valid?

M: The Bulls were at their worst last season when point guard Virginia Jennings was out with an injury. Now Jennings is gone for good after transferring out of Buffalo. This team has to find someone else that can handle the ball and not turn it over when they are pressed. The MAC media are dead on here as well. I see a first-round exit from the MAC tournament for this team.

R: Yes. I was disappointed in the team last year because I felt that Rachel Martin was nowhere near a starter and that the freshmen class was a bit weak. I saw nothing during the season that changed my mind of that opinion. This season is different with the addition of Evelyn Thompson as an assistant coach and with a much stronger freshmen class. The Bulls could move another spot up during the season, but don't have the experience to make it out of the first round.

Q: What UB freshman men's basketball player will have the greatest impact?

M: I can't say that I know the young guys too well so I'll go with the guy who is 6'9", 240 pounds - B.J. Walker. Walker is a huge freshman forward playing on a team that needs another solid physical forward. He averaged a double-double in points and rebounds in both his junior and senior seasons of high school. If he can have an immediate impact, I will be eating my words about this team finishing in last place.

R: Roderick Middleton. This 6'3" guard/forward is versatile enough to help the Bulls immediately (barring an injury, of course). I think the position that the Bulls will need the most bodies is at the 3-spot, where Middleton may be able to create match-up problems for other teams, either being more physical with small defenders, or faster than larger defenders.

Q: Bucky Gleason of The Buffalo News wrote a column Sunday, Nov. 10 suggesting that UB give up on the football program if they are still unsuccessful by 2004. What do you think of his opinion?

M: First, people who come to one UB football game per season should not be writing columns on the team. I think if you're going to cut someone up in your publication you should at least be present at the games. Second, Coach Jim Hofher's recruits will be playing in 2004; if the team shows no progress by then or by 2005, then he should be replaced, but it takes a long time to build a football program, and UB should not give up on it so easily.

R: His opinion sucks. It always does. He claimed that UCF was "anything but a powerhouse" but failed to mention the Golden Knights looked better against Syracuse in last week's 38-35 loss than previously No. 7 Virginia Tech did this past weekend when they fell to SU in triple overtime. When UB opens the season at home against those same Orangemen in 2004, expect the Bulls to give them as much as they can handle.

Q: Should baseball keep young children out of their dugouts?

M: This question comes from the Darren Baker incident at the World Series. MLB will be looking into this at their winter meetings. Short answer, yes. The bleeding hearts out there think people are overreacting. That taking them out of dugouts will ruin some father/son bond. I doubt these people would be so adamant if a youngster was struck by a foul ball and injured, or accidentally interfered in a play that cost their team the game.

R: I don't care, baseball is the most pathetic "sport" in the country. Incidentally, I watched exactly zero seconds of the World Series because I was busy playing Madden 2003.