Football Preview

Back to Work

At this point in the season it is hard for student athletes to concentrate on football when they have mid-terms and papers due, especially if they are on a losing team. That is why it is encouraging to see the Bulls still putting in the effort required to play good football.

"Everyday we go out, practice hard, we prepare well," said redshirt freshman defensive back Kevin Concepcion, who had a career-best four pass breakups and an interception during last week's loss to UCF. "It's kind of hard being 1-9, but I feel our attitude is that we have to go out there and get our second victory."

UB, who have lost eight in a row, will get their chance to notch victory number two Saturday when the Bulls (1-9, 0-6 MAC) take on the Akron Zips (2-8, 1-5 MAC) at 1 p.m. at the Rubber Bowl in Akron, Ohio.

Last week, UB had UCF on the ropes before a 17-point fourth quarter put the Bulls away, but looking at the effort they gave it can be inferred that they have not lost faith in themselves or the coaching staff. The reason this is so important is that this is an extremely young team. With most of the Bulls' skill players being sophomores or younger, a slip in intensity could carry over into next season. For a successful season next year, the Bulls would do well to end this year on a positive note.

UB's task will be difficult this week, as again their linemen will be out-sized by the opposition.

"The beat goes on," said Bulls Head Coach Jim Hofher. "310 pounds, third year, fourth year guys. A little bit older. A good back."

The back Hofher refers to is Zips junior running back Bob Hendry, who this season has amassed 792 yards rushing, 89 yards receiving, and five touchdowns.

"He's 5'10"-5'11", 200 lbs, he runs hard, he's a decisive back," said Hofher of Hendry.

However, the real threat Saturday will be Akron quarterback Charlie Frye. Frye has passed into first on the Zips' single-season pass yardage list with 2,504 yards. He is also ranked 16th in the nation in total offense. Concepcion and company in the Bulls' secondary will have their work cut out for them this week.

"I feel like I'm coming of a really strong game," said Concepcion. "I'm a young DB so this week I'm going to have to get into more film, they're 2-8 but they are a strong team. They use a lot of shotgun, a lot of bootlegs. As a DB I want to play a lot more aggressive."

The Bulls will have a couple of milestones within reach Saturday. Buffalo is still looking for their first MAC road win, and senior punter Scott McMahon will gain the UB single season record for punt yardage with 81 more yards. To achieve the first goal, Buffalo would like to get a contribution from redshirt freshman running back Aaron Leeper.

Leeper is in the running for MAC Freshman of the Year after breaking UB freshman records for rushing (810) and touchdowns (9). Buffalo has also received a boost on offense with last week's return of senior wide out Andre Forde. Forde will draw some of the attention away from Leeper and give sophomore QB Randall Secky another dangerous target down field.

To win this game, the Bulls will have to go into a hostile environment and outplay a team that is a lot stronger than their record shows. UB does have the tools to do this, as clearly demonstrated during their only win of the season, on the road at Rutgers.

"We're a very young team," said Concepcion. "What we're trying to build on is gelling together as a team, going out there hard and trusting one another as a team. I think we'll progress as the team gets older."

"We continually coach these guys to play better football," said Hofher. "I think the players are responding extremely well."

News / Notes

Akron has won three straight home games. Their last home win came against Marshall, a 34-20 upset win.

Akron has won all three meetings between the clubs. The last meeting in the Rubber Bowl resulted in a 49-14 Zips' victory. Akron beat Buffalo 41-14 at UB Stadium last season.

A UB freshman has scored a touchdown in each game in which the Bulls have reached the end zone.

Buffalo junior free safety Mark Graham is ranked eighth nationally in interceptions with six. He also has the longest current starting streak on the team.