"Crime, Comedy and the Christmas Spirit"

Winter Theater Season Preview

As winter vacation looms closer and closer, students face either a trip back home or another snowy season here in Buffalo. While students returning to New York City for their break are familiar with the variety of Broadway's theater offerings, those left to stick it out in the local den of lake effect snow still have many options of their own.

Like the fall season, when theaters showcase their biggest and most promising productions, the winter months also hold a wide array of theatrical tastes. From drama to musicals to classic holiday favorites, Western New Yorkers have no shortage of entertainment.

Studio Arena Theatre is offering Agatha Christie's classic mystery "The Mousetrap" (Dec. 1 to 28). A hotel in the snow-packed hills of England is the scene for a murder mystery full of suspense and intrigue. "The Mousetrap" is currently the longest-running play in the world; the London production recently celebrated its 50th anniversary.

Following the drama is a comedy from playwright Tom Dulack, who scored a hit at the theater two seasons ago with his Italian comedy "Breaking Legs." Follow-up "Shooting Craps" (Jan. 5 to Feb. 2) is sure to be full of the same tongue-in-cheek humor and pertinent local spin, taking place in a city ready to build a casino to ensure its economic resurgence.

Next door to Studio Arena is Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo's premiere location for traveling Broadway musicals and renowned music acts. The highlight of their season is the two-week run of ABBA's "Mamma Mia" (Dec. 10 to 22), currently one of the world's hottest musical tickets.

The winter season-and certainly a Buffalo winter season- would be incomplete without classic holiday productions.

The Alleyway Theatre Company, near Shea's, continues its traditions of presenting both Neal Radice's "A Christmas Carol" adaptation and "The Road to Bethlehem" (Dec. 13 to 21). Radice's rendition of "A Christmas Carol" (Dec. 13 to 21), playing across the street at the Forbes Theatre, is both a local theater institution and inspiration for Radice's "The Road To Bethlehem" - a musical that will run from Dec. 19 to 22 on Alleyway's main stage.

In addition to these shows, many area theaters offer smaller, cozier performance spaces perfect for more intimate productions.

O'Connell & Co.'s Cabaret in the Square, located in Amherst, is small but welcoming. Their usual fare of cabaret-style revues continues with "That Christmas Show!" (Dec. 4 to 28) and the musical "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" (Jan. 9 to 25).

Next door to the cabaret is another intimate venue, MusicalFare, located at Daemen College. Their acclaimed premiere production of the noir drama "Gunmetal Blues" continues through Dec. 1, while "Avenue X," billed as "a unique a capella doo-wop musical," takes place in racially-divided 1963 Brooklyn. It plays from Jan. 9 through Feb. 9.

Based on the famed musical "Chicago," Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones will appear in the film of the same name premiering in New York City and Los Angeles on Dec. 27. In January, the entire country will be able to experience this commentary on the American judicial system, with John Kander and Fred Ebb's jazzy score. Its sexy and humorous twists are guaranteed to keep college students interested.

A glance at Artvoice or Gusto will provide accurate and up-to-date performance listings and times. While all theaters are currently selling tickets for their upcoming performances, most offer same-day rush tickets at a discount. Student prices are also available at many locations. Make sure to ask before purchase - the best deal might not be advertised.

Studio Arena, Shea's, Alleyway and the Forbes theatres are all located in downtown's theatre district, which is the Buffalo Metro's Theatre Stop. Amherst's two main houses, Cabaret in the Square and MusicalFare, are both located on Main Street, west of Harlem Road.