Bulls Report Card

Exam 8: Miami 49, Buffalo 0

Running Game

Tailbacks Aaron Leeper and Dave Dawson had little room to run as the Miami defensive line dominated the Bulls on the line of scrimmage. At halftime Leeper actually had zero yards on eight carries. Quarterback Randall Secky had the longest run from scrimmage (18 yards) in the first quarter on a fake handoff. Average yards per carry weren't bad, but it's hard to run the ball when you're playing from behind. It's a team game, but it's almost impossible to pick up yardage when the offensive line doesn't open holes.

Grade: D
Passing Game

It certainly was not a banner day for Secky as the sophomore missed a couple of throws and threw a career-high three interceptions on 16-41 passing with a measly 106 yards. On the other side of the ball though, he didn't have much help from the receiving corps, most of who may have had as many dropped balls as they had catches. Tight end Chad Bartoszek led the team with six catches. Offensive line was better in pass protection than it was in the running game, but Miami still won the line of scrimmage. Two dropped balls in particular had potential to be touchdowns.

Grade: D
Run Defense

Miami did not have to run the ball much, but when they did the RedHawks' tailbacks shredded the Bulls, scoring both of their first two touchdowns on the ground. Luke Clemens looked solid and had huge holes to run through, churning in a 98-yard day on 15 carries. The UB defensive line was overwhelmed by the big, experienced offensive line of Miami. Buffalo linebackers had a lot of work and played admirably, but it simply wasn't enough.

Grade: C
Pass Defense

RedHawks quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looked like a man among boys standing in the pocket, delivering throws with pinpoint accuracy. He threw three touchdowns on a 16-24 day with 228 yards. The Bulls tried everything to get in the backfield and disturb his throwing, but again were overpowered by Miami, who didn't let UB get so much as a fingertip on their star quarterback. Coverage in the secondary was tight for most of the game, with the exception of a couple plays that went for big gains. Wide receiver Branch was too much for the UB cornerbacks.

Grade: D
Special Teams

If Dallas Pelz hadn't missed a late second quarter field goal then there might be no grade to give. This unit had little effect on the outcome of the game, although some nice returns on the part of the RedHawks set Miami up with good field position for most of the first half. Punter Scott McMahon continues to be solid.

Grade: C
Coaching

"The first place I look is in the mirror to determine what we need to do differently, what do we need to do better, what do I need to do better," said UB Head Coach Jim Hofher after the game. "It's my responsibility as a coach and in a game when it's 49-0 and we really didn't do anything well ... then this team was obviously not even close to well enough prepared for this football game and that's ultimately my responsibility."

Regardless, a coach can't do much when the offensive line isn't opening holes, receivers aren't catching balls, and defenders aren't making plays.

Grade: C+

Note: I don't know why the receiving corps have so many drops this year, but they have to figure out how to stop it, because they're costing the Bulls first down opportunities. Soon I'll have to start giving them a separate grade.