Mission: Impossible

Bulls Stand Between Gophers and 4-0 Record

Minnesota ranks eighth in the nation in total defense. Buffalo ranks second to last in the Mid-American Conference in total offense.

Advantage: Minnesota.

You could go on forever like this, and just about every comparison would go the way of the 3-0 Golden Gophers.

That's what you can expect when you play a Big 10 opponent like the Bulls do this Saturday when they travel to the H.H.H. Metrodome to take on the undefeated Minnesota Golden Gophers.

It's a tall order for a young team. The last time the Bulls played a Big 10 team they were annihilated, losing to Michigan 128-0. Luckily for UB, that game took place in 1901.

"Wow, I hope we don't eclipse that. But I'm not going to go out on a limb and guarantee that we won't," joked UB Head Coach Jim Hofher. "I don't think that those kind of games can happen . man, you'd have to be scoring fast to score 128 points in a modern day game."

It seems as though Buffalo will have their work cut out for them. Despite the absence of huge, lumbering defensive lineman, Minnesota is dominating opponents. With the struggles UB had on offense against UConn last Saturday, the outlook is bleak.

"Obviously Saturday night we did not play good football, " said Hofher. "That's the most disappointing thing. It's first and goal at the three, and it's a 10-0 ball game, and either seven or eight plays later and four penalties later we're lucky to make a field goal. From an offensive perspective that series was a microcosm of the game."

The Bulls defense will have to turn in another great performance on Saturday if they have any hopes of staying in the game. Minnesota quarterback Asad Abdul-Khaliq is a threat in every facet of the offense and can drastically alter the momentum of the game.

"He's an exciting football player who can run very well," said Hofher. "We'll see the most option from what we've seen this year, from him and from them. He's a good runner . they're a simple but effective running football team. They know what they're doing."

If there is anything close to a glimmer of hope, it would be that the Gophers run the option often. The last time Buffalo played a team that ran the option, they destroyed the Ohio Bobcats 44-0 at UB Stadium last season.

Then again, this team is far more talented than Ohio.

Despite the obvious inadequacies the Bulls possess in light of an opponent of this caliber, players are excited and looking forward to the challenge.

"I think the guys on the team are looking forward to this," said punter Scott McMahon. "It's not every day that we face an opponent like this. It's definitely a challenge, and we're going to work hard to prepare ourselves."

News & Notes

Buffalo tight end Chad Bartoszek looks to get back on track against Minnesota after a disappointing game against Connecticut. The 6'6" 250 lb. senior could make a name for himself if he performs well against a Big Ten opponent like the Gophers. Bartoszek has been rated as high as the 5th best tight end in the country by some publications and is in the running for the John Mackey award, given to the best tight end in the nation. Bartoszek has five catches for 44 yards in three games thus far.

Running back Marquis Dwarte is doubtful for tomorrow's game, and according to Hofher his season may be in jeopardy. He has not played since the season opener against Lehigh. In his absence, redshirt freshmen Chris McDuffie may be used to back up Aaron Leeper.